FMP HELP!

hweber

I am writing my dissertation on the allure of the book and I dont know what to do my FMP on. I know I would like it to be based on a book but the inside content I can't think of. Any suggestions?

Your outcome should come from your research. Don't go into it with the idea of producing this or that because you'll back yourself into a corner.

Forget about the content or final form at this stage and start researching everything you can think of about books. Speak to people about them, why do they love them? Maybe you'll find someone who hates them? Maybe you'll discover that someone has never even read a book, because they struggle to read as a whole. Perhaps your research will lead you down a path of a way to engage with adults who struggle to read. It could be a series of books that teach reading, but look like regular books for adults to save them embarrassment. Perhaps your research will prove that the outcome shouldn't be a book at all, but a completely different approach…

What I'm saying is your final outcome should match up with your research. An examiner will be looking at your final work and working backwards through your research to see how and why you came up with what you did. If there are gaps or it doesn't tally up, you'll be marked down. Don't decide on your final work at the start, because you'll then be struggling to produce research that fits. It's like a scientist conducting select experiments that they know will give the results they want to see.

Instead let your research guide you. The final piece can be very simple, just so long as you've shown an adequate amount of research, planning and experimentation to get to that outcome. That's what the examiners want to see – that your work answers the brief, a brief that comes from your research.

Back