Flash Mini Site

J0GA

Hi everyone!

So I am in my first year of Devine and I really wanted a website. But I'm not good enough to launch something big (we're only 6 months ahead). I tried to make a mini website that says who I am, what I do and how they should contact me.

I proudly present my first ever website made in flash (AS 3.0)

Bert Dierckens

why did that need to be done in flash, I'm 99% certain that could have been done in javascript.

I'm not a fan of flash anyways sorry

Levi said:
why did that need to be done in flash, I'm 99% certain that could have been done in javascript.

- Because I'm not good at actionscript
- Because I wanted a website
- Because I have exams in a week

It's ok but the text fields are too small in my opinion and in services its kinda like putting off your client by saying "So it may be possible that I may not be able to meet with your standards" so I suggest you to delete that part.

Thanks for you feedback Mohammad. I do think i just give them a warning i'm a student ... And when I'm done with my first year of school I'll make a new website. So it's not that big a deal. :)

Levi said:

Do you ever have anything good to say about anyone Levi...the guy has come on and posted a thread and choose to do it in actionscript instead of giving a bite why dont you offer support and give some direction?

As for Moh's comments then Yes I do agree...Other than that it looks like a good start mate, maybe deliver are larger text area and see how you can build and develop on things. There's lots out there on flash, I used a lot of stuff from the internet when I did my flash application for my final year at uni.

Levi said:

To me the thread title was very clear so if I wasn't a fan of Flash then I wouldn't have clicked :)

The reason I said the site could be done in something other than flash is because there was no need for flash in this case.

Can you honestly say that you were expecting a purely text based site when flash was mentioned, I was expecting some fancy flowing thing not just sliding and fading for bringing the text in.

Using flash is fine if it's actually adds something to the site, in this case it doesn't, it's that simple (not saying simple is bad)

You've also got to consider mobile browsers these days and realistically flash is still a no go and have you seen the amount of posts about how poor the flash application on desktops is these days.

A flash mini site to me is something you get when you go look into a movie or you want to show off a particular product using say the 3d rotations etc not a few pages of text.
Mo - I actually click on 90% of all the threads on the forum as theres a possibility it might have a poorly worded title, I may not reply but I do at least read them.

Everyone thanks for the comments and tips. Just to make things clear:

I know a site like this should not be made in flash. I have been told this before. But I just made it because I wanted to practise my actionscript and i didn't had a site. :)

I personally quick like this.
Maybe the boxes anda all round could do with being slightly larger, but other than that, yano :D.

I really like simplistic sites, and this maybe being too simplistic, you clearly state it's your first one. So.. i can take that on the edge.

I don't really know JS or AS so i wouldn't be able to give a pro on using js for this or a con etc.
On that note, anyone know any good JS books?

Ah yeah thanks, i have heard of that before. I'll take another look at it :D.

I also heard that, * In Easy steps books are good. Infact i have a visual basic one from back when i wanted to desktop program. It was good, but programming desktop apps wasn't my thing.

Well I'm not a fan of the site, I'll skip the flash comment. It's a bit too minimalistic for my taste and I think your content sort of disappears into the background too much. But I'm sure it's been useful for your ActionScipt practice like you said.

But since you're a Belgian student (like myself), I would like to ask you some stuff if you don't mind :)
In less than 6 months I should be graduating high school. I am very eager to go into something creative, design (web/graphic/print) is an obvious choice but I've considered promotion/advertisement campaigns too. I like to think that I'm a decent designer for my age. I already mastered semantic standards-compliant CSS/XHTML about two years ago and I've been dabbling in Photoshop since I was 13 and doing websites since I was coming up on 16.

Enough about me, now about you and your fellow students... Were you in any way into design or development before you enrolled in your class? How about other people in your course? For the past 4 months, what are your thoughts on Devine, was it what you had expected? Are there any other schools you had looked at before picking Devine? And is there anything else you think might be worth mentioning?

Don't want to seem pushy but everyone else is being pushy about me deciding what to do next year :p

Agree'd that it could of been done alot easier without Flash, but seen as you want it this way and its your first website, You have done well as I know Flash aint easy!

The text areas are a little small and i think an image or two wouldnt go a miss. :)

Well done on your first though

Onartis said:
Well I'm not a fan of the site, I'll skip the flash comment. It's a bit too minimalistic for my taste and I think your content sort of disappears into the background too much. But I'm sure it's been useful for your ActionScipt practice like you said.

But since you're a Belgian student (like myself), I would like to ask you some stuff if you don't mind :)
In less than 6 months I should be graduating high school. I am very eager to go into something creative, design (web/graphic/print) is an obvious choice but I've considered promotion/advertisement campaigns too. I like to think that I'm a decent designer for my age. I already mastered semantic standards-compliant CSS/XHTML about two years ago and I've been dabbling in Photoshop since I was 13 and doing websites since I was coming up on 16.

Enough about me, now about you and your fellow students... Were you in any way into design or development before you enrolled in your class? How about other people in your course? For the past 4 months, what are your thoughts on Devine, was it what you had expected? Are there any other schools you had looked at before picking Devine? And is there anything else you think might be worth mentioning?

Don't want to seem pushy but everyone else is being pushy about me deciding what to do next year :p

Hi!

I knew a little bit of photoshop and xhtml before I want to devine. In my class, you have people who had a lot of knowledge before they came to design, and people who hadn't. So it's 50/50.

Yeah, you have "het K.A.S.K" in Ghent (dutch: toelatingsproef!); Sint Lucas in Ghent, Artevelde in Ghent and Devine in Kortrijk. Probably in Antwerp too, but I don't know anything about that city ;)

I say, if you really want to learn it, go for devine, they teach you development as design. Both are important and it's a lot of fun! But you really have to work!

Stresshead said:
Hi J0GA

I am totally with you on the Flash/Actionscript learning front, if you need help this website was good for me gotoandlearn.com - Free video tutorials by Lee Brimelow on the Flash Platform, especially the carousel which looks brilliant - i have an example of it on carousel6low headlines for another client.

If you want all the original file Flash, XML etc I can give you them.

Thanks! I'll give it a look! :)

charles said:
It's a perfectly good site for the purpose design wise.

I think you have done well there.

Thanks, that's nice of you ^^

HippySunshine said:
Agree'd that it could of been done alot easier without Flash, but seen as you want it this way and its your first website, You have done well as I know Flash aint easy!

The text areas are a little small and i think an image or two wouldnt go a miss. :)

Well done on your first though

Thanks for the feedback! I do agree with you, but i see it more like a test. :)

Back