Fixing a horizontal menu

C

chrismitchell

i'm getting an odd result when trying to make the menu in this site inline ... any ideas as to why?

ISBI2012 | Edinburgh | September 9 – 13 2012

Cheers everyone :D

Also does anyone else know how to remove the 10px at the bottom of the page.. I would prefer to have my booking button flush against the bottom of the page.

Set #bottombg to height:123px; #submenu ul needs the width removing and #submenu ul li needs float:left applying.

Thanks for your help Harry :) we're halfway there.. I want the dropdowns to be horizontal but the main list to stay vertical :) but the bottom is now all fixed which is great :D

Well do exactly what I said to the main nav as that'll fix your main problem, then rework the dropdowns from there. You can't do it any other way.

No worries squire. I imagine your best bet would be to add a class of .dropdown to the relevant <ul>s.

thats what I was just thinking to do :) proves i'm learning ;) :lol:

part fixed.. now just having trouble making the submenu smaller :( LOL :)

Wouldn't something like
#submenu ul li li{width:70px}

As you have
#submenu ul li {
position:relative;
display:inline;
float:left;
width:140px;
height:40px;
}

Which would be setting the nested li's as well.

Sort it? :)

I take it you mean width?

Jaz was along the right lines, the main nav (the one with General Info etc going horizontally) needs to be a static width of 140px while the submenu that comes off it needs to fit in one line, but i can't change the width for just the submenu parts for some reason, they are all considered to be the same size (of 140px) I tried adding the

#submenu ul li li{width:70px;}

and it didn't do anything unfortunately :(

O sorry fella thought that would have worked.
Where did you put it?
As a couple of lines down you do have
#submenu li {
width:100%;
}

As well. Did you put it below that one?
You could always try a more specialized rule for example ~
#submenu ul li ul li{width:70px}

all done :D in a bit of a nasty way though :lol:

don't hate me Harry :p :lol:

O not sure you know this fella, but the contact us link at the bottom the us drops to a new line in Opera. :)

Didn't know that.. fortunately I know our target audience and Opera isn't it.. It will be either IE or Firefox (we know what machines people are using for the most part). But IE is still a problem with my floats etc :(

Aww the joys or a targeted audience. I wish all projects where like that, or all browsers displayed the code exactly the same and the only difference was the speed, add-ons and themes. Aww your bubbles a really nice place Chris it really it is I've been looking around those service stations honestly, just can't find it for £9.99. :cry:

Back