Fishing for quotes on a Karate club's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimlad

Hi peeps, just a little fishing mission here really. The karate club I belong to has had an ongoing saga concerning the design and regular updating of their website. Which, considering the fact that the site happens to be the main way people find the club, is a bit poor.

They have the URL already and have had issues wrestling it away from the lad who made the original site (one version previous to the current). He used to train there but hasn't been a regular for years. Anyway, long story short, would anyone be willing to throw out some ballpark figures for creating an informative website to promote the club, with copy, a logo and several photographs & small videos provided?

The club has never been run like a business, the man running it does so for the sake of teaching karate. They're not technical but would like to update some news sections periodically I think. But mainly the site would act as a web-based ad for the club with info about it, some history about the origins of shotokan karate and instructional videos.

They're not sure they're going to go down this route yet (i.e. hiring a professional) and there are other options for them to think about, but I said I'd ask some professionals (hello, you lot) and get back to them with what kind of figures they'd need to think about.

Thanks.

Hi Jim,

Would be happy to quote for this, will you be providing any of the design work or will it be full design too? I would recommend building the site on Wordpress as a cost effective route to allowing them access to a news section to update club members & get some interaction going with the post comments.

Likewise happy to quote for just the development element if there's any designers wanting to just work on the design side of things :)

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. Did the original designer register the domain on behalf of the club? Can you tell me the domain, and I can check exactly what details have been used, as there's a chance of getting Nominet to update the TAG if the domain is registered in the clubs name & not the individuals. (Feel free to PM if best for that)

Hi Greg,

It would probably be full design, I don't have much experience in designing websites myself, although Im tempted now you mention the idea.. I've done leaflets and promo bits and bobs for them in the past though, which may prove helpful for design inspiration? I would probably re-do their logo too since the current file isn't vectorised and I need that for the stuff Im working on for them anyway.

The Wordpress idea sounds like it might work really well actually, I've been scratching my head for a solution that would give them a decent site and let them edit it easily. You may have hit the nail right on the head.

The current URL is sendai.org.uk. Only look at the site if you need a really good laugh or a really good cry. I'm not sure on the specific details of the registration, but the URL is top of the google page when you search "karate in newcastle", and it's listed on several other websites already so I can only assume it would be worth trying to use it as opposed to getting a new one from scratch.

Hi Jim,

Would be happy to work with you on getting the web design together, could help you through the process so you might be in a position to look at web design jobs in the future? :)

Unfortunately the domain is registered with the individuals details, so very little chance of getting control of that without their co-operation I'm afraid. Having said that the site has very few backlinks, so with a little spot of link building I'm sure a new domain could be positioned above the old site given some time.

That sounds like smashing idea sir. :) I'd be interested in working on that if they decide to go this route. Hell I'd be tempted to help them pay for it to ensure that they do, they need a decent website!
I thought that might be the case with the url. And co-operation seems to be highly unlikely unless we were to find him and demand he hand over the details at fist-point. Personally I never liked domains ending in .org.uk anyway. .co.uk would be a more obvious choice to me. Unfortunately sendai.co.uk is taken, but considering there's a sister club in sunderland, perhaps us having newcastlesendai.co.uk as the domain might not be too bad a stretch.

Good to hear.
Sure there's a few good options available (SendaiKarate(DOT)co(DOT)uk is available?) and yes I too prefer a .co.uk :)

I'll e-mail you a rough price estimate in the morning then you can see if it's going to be a suitable solution for them...

Thanks Greg. SendaiKarate, now why didn't I think of that? Maybe cos I've been training and all the blood has left my brain...

I'll apply a coat this very instant! I love how their website still says "Does exactly what it says on the tin" and there's a picture of a bloke holding a squirty tube. He looks a little confused, too.

Hi Jim,

If you require any help with the registration of the sendai.org.uk domain name please contact one our Customer Support Department on 01865 332244 or via email to [email protected].

Kind regards,

Customer Service
Nominet

Thanks to everyone who's been in contact regarding this project. I'll be meeting with the man himself tomorrow night so will present him with the info gathered thus far and we'll see where he decides to go with it.

One of the club's senior members has created a new website using Joomla. It's a vast improvement on the old one.

Thanks for the replies guys, this thread can probably be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back