First Web Presence

HostLoveUK

If you were just starting out online today, would you rather a .co.uk or .com domain that isn't exactly what you want to purchase (because your chosen domain has already been registered) or would you end up going for your chosen domain with a new gTLD such as .company, .xyz etc?

I would personally try to find a name/word that I can find with a .com or at least a co.uk (for a business that is) - if it's a portfolio it might not matter too much.

I don't know a whole lot about it all, but there is some sort of framework in place to resolve the issue of lots of companies using the same brand name, for instance, serviceprovider.co.uk, serviceprovider.com, serviceprovider.xyz - you see the issue. I think if you own the .com then you get, for a limited period of time, the right to purchase others, so I would always go with the .com or .co.uk as I believe they are seen as slightly superior....

I could be wrong, but it's something along those lines!

not sure about .com getting an allowance Sean but I do know that the .co.uk have a 5 (I think) year window to grab the .uk version of their domain... I've always associated .com as international companies or US companies, in the same way I associate .co.uk as being a UK company.

Also, all the .company .design or .xyz are just there 99% of the time for them to make some extra cash, hardly ever actually needed.

I also try to imagine telling someone my website:

'Yea, check out www.alexgilmore.design'
'is that a .co.uk or .com?'
'Erm, it's .design'
'Oh.... right'

Maybe i'm just being a bit pessimistic.

yeah as much as I'd love to get a .design or something I just can't see any reason to do it other than to say I've got design domain :)

Last time I checked google wanted .search lol

I really can't see the point of a .co

"Are you tired of having to type that extra one character every time you want to visit a website...? Try .co!" ....?

Back