First Time Illustrator User

MrCat

Hi folks,

I've never sed illustrator before, a bit of experience in Photoshop but not masses.

What I'm trying to do is take a friends simple logo (jpg) and convert it to a vector image I can use in 'Character Animator'.
To this end I've looked upa bunch of tutorials and tried using the Image Trace options with various settings but it always comes out with hundreds of layers making it really difficult to consolidate them into usable groups for animator. I'm thinking t could be a lot easier to just trace round the various bits of the image myself but can't seem to find any useful tutorials on how to do just that, if you catch my drift. Maybe I'm not typing the right questions into google haha...

All I really need is the head, arms, legs etc seperated into handy groups so I can start learning to animate :D

Its a basic (probably 8 colour) image and already conveniently an almost perfect cartoon character so surely can't be tricky. But being new I don't know where to start. Having looked at a bunch of tutorials I thought I'd ask here for some pointers. (Logo attached!)

Any info most appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Colour Logo.jpg
    Colour Logo.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 4
You need to draw it up in Ai first and put all the different parts like the body, head, arms, legs on separate layers to import into the animation app.
This depends on how complex you want it to be.
Don't use image trace as it would take you much longer to split the image afterwards.

Regarding tut's, try searching for After Effects, Illustrator, Character Animation.
I know you're using Character Animator but the "rigging" should be similar if not the same.

Back