First site in a while

Wee Jimmy

Ey up!

I've had to pretty much shelve design for a fair few months as i've just taken on a new freehold project pub, taking over from the previous manager has been a nightmare! Nevertheless I have had a chance to pretty much do a full identity in the process, wine lists, menu's, business cards, facebook ads, internal video advertising, play with my new camera and ofcourse the website.

Brief:
To accurately portray the style of the pub on the web with a relaxed vibe and a focus on the product.

A very simple site in reality but I always like an outside opinion to tweak :)

Good Food, Drink & Accommodation in Abergavenny

Something that I may want to bring up is actually bring the real social networking icons instead of the current options that you have available in it. I think that the site is rather impressive. I also think the header is a little to tall.

All looks good and the history section is a real bonus. Whenever I visit a pub at the weekend or for a mates birthday I do tend to check their website out to see what the bar area looks like so including photos of that area would add to the site. Also, as the pub offers accommodation I would think about including information about the local area and bus and train routes in the 'rooms' section. Would help bulk that page out more as well.

yellowdog said:
All looks good and the history section is a real bonus. Whenever I visit a pub at the weekend or for a mates birthday I do tend to check their website out to see what the bar area looks like so including photos of that area would add to the site. Also, as the pub offers accommodation I would think about including information about the local area and bus and train routes in the 'rooms' section. Would help bulk that page out more as well.

Cheers Yellowdog. I did want to flesh out the rooms page a bit more and that's great! Thanks for the tip :up:

When ever I design a site, or review someone elses, the first thing I usually do is imagine the site without any images or (especially) photos. If it still works then you know it's a good design. I feel like your design relies too heavily on the classic/clichéd photo underneath transparent content boxes.

You need a home button, or at the very least to make the logo link to index.html also the copyright and drinkaware logo needs to fit within the container and not float outside of it.

The slideshow on the front page is good and (this is not usually the case!) the photos are very good; high quality, relevant and they don't look amateurish, however, you have two blank boxes in the thumbnail line up which you should remove and re-centre the list, unless of course you're planning to add more. I'd like to see something more interesting done with the section beneath it though, I mean titles with a block of text isn't very appealing. This can be difficult if you're lacking in content, but I think you've got enough to do something with it here.

The food page, in my opinion, contains too much superfluous information which would be better presented in list form. You could then use the rest of the space to incorporate the menu onto the page itself instead of requiring another click and a PDF download. Speaking of the menu, what a very limited one it is, more so for us poor vegetarians...!

I think you could also flesh out the rooms page too. I would start with allowing a section on the page for each room with space for a couple of photographs or more within a gallery (the more photos the better) and at least a paragraph of text, however you choose to do this.

I like the about page, especially the photos. I can't help thinking that this would be a perfect opportunity to utilise some jQuery though.

Hope I've helped, it's a good start and with a few tweaks and a little bit more effort it can be great - if they have the budget for this at least.

Back