Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First look at Chrome OS..

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Mohammad, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

What do you think.. Personally I'm not a big fan of it.. Just looks too basic..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ57xzo287U[/YOUTUBE]

2. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Saw this coming a long time ago. I no way a substitute for any of the current OS'es (on desktops and laptops)

3. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Looks abit fail in its early stages I have to say...

4. designium

designium Member

seems Unbutu with some new ajax features :D i like it!! lets see what design programs they can suport it :D

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I can see this being used on netbooks or other teeny tiny internet-useful-only laptop devices, which may make them cheaper for the target market.

6. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I think it looks amazing, exactly what I would want from a netbook OS....
    haven't watched this exact video (too lazy) but ... 7 second load up, constant uploading to the 'cloud', all in the browser I use as it is, easy opening of different file types, all apps web based, ability to plug in cameras / etc. and use easily, and everything so smooth and nice.
    What more would you want when you're on the move.

Never meant to replace a proper computer OS...

7. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I like the look of it, they seem to have sandwiched alot of good features from websites and stuffed them into an os. I am not going to drop everything and install it over osx, but lets face it, as long as it works windows should be ****ting themselves!

8. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Chrome OS is literally no good for me as it wouldn't even be able to handle the most basic of my work requirements.

However for things like a smartbook which is basically a netbook running on a mobile phone cpu such as the 1GHz+ snapdragon (or the tegra equivelent) this could be ideal as they can have an 'always on' internet connection - the other option is a linux/windows ce/mobile os as windows x86/x64 will not run on arm cpu's.

There is one thing that I'm not keen on and that's the fact that ALL data is stored online which to me seems a little bit of a privacy issue, also you're kind of screwed if they ever decide to change to a charge for use system later down the line.

9. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

The charging thing is worrying, not as bothered about the security, you don't "worry" about emails... or online banking... etc.

This isn't meant to compete with OSX or windows, so not sure why they should be ****ting themselves after releasing a good OS?

10. Levi

Until the web has high end graphics there's still going to be a need for things like games, 3d and graphics type programs. I can however see it moving onto the little boxes you stick under the tv for a media extender. You get a couple of people writing a decent all encompassing media layer for it and you can have a pretty lightweight os for them, especially when you consider the amount of browsers etc being added to things like the wii, ps3, tv's etc.

11. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

this has to be a dip in the ocean! We all know that this is the first step, there is no reason why they would design a mobile phone platform, then a netbook level OS if they didnt have eyes on the next level. It is just a matter of time! I can see glife happening pretty soon.

12. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Got you covered on the games at least. OnLive is a high speed HD streaming videogames service that would enable you to play the likes of Bioshock or Crysis on even your gran's old computer. If you have a kick-ass internet connection.

13. tim

tim Senior Member

i think it's quite exciting.

it's web widgets on a computer, so it's basically like having an iphone on your monitor!

bad thing is it executes everyone who doesnt have great internet, and also that it is obviously limited to what apps are supplied on it.

good things are that it's not annoying to work with, it's simple and not in yo face. also, it's free!

14. Levi

a bit like some of the instant on os's, a basic linux os with web/email etc run from bios or similar basis, now popping up more on netbooks/pc's etc.

iirc google chrome os is based on linux too.

15. Is Chrome OS just the Chrome browser but with a clock?

16. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Yep :) but loads up in 7 seconds

17. tim

tim Senior Member

my mac loads up in about 5 seconds
    :confused:

18. From power on to desktop...?

19. tim

tim Senior Member

yeppo

20. I don't believe you. Show me videographic evidence.