First ever Website. (go easy Berry)

13faces

Hey dudes, probably not the most popular person on this wondeful forum but I mean no harm, just young and stuff . . .

Anyway . . . first ever website, built using indexhibit. Will try to do more complicated things with CSS when I have time to learn.

More projects comming soon, but this site is intended to have clients/projects that I went out and got myself. . . rather than any of my studio affiliated work. So might take some time getting a good body of work together. So for a while it will, for most part be Type driven.

About : Monogram

Cheers, Vanya

there are FAR FAR better portfolio templates available, did you design the font on "touch me" cos its nice, not convinced as a logo but the fonts cool :)

The designs are my own yes. True they are not typical logo's the personality will eventually come through the photography and art direction.

I like indexhibit, it actually offers alot of freedom if you know how and its nice to have a fully adaptable but content managed site for someone so Web dumb as me.

I have some awesome wesite design ideas, just dont have a programmer friend thats not busy :(

What other templates are cool, Cargo is getting very popular . . . not sure I like the style.

Cheers, Vanya

That's hardly a website but okay. Keep trying :p

EDIT: maybe you should start out by designing a site in photoshop... ? Can be something minimal.

That 'website' looks nearly identical to another designers (although I can't remember the name off the top of my head).

As to the design - well theres nothing to it, no text, no true branding as such, your logo is blurred and the TM looks like a spec of dirt on my screen. It doesn't even work as minimalist in my opinion either.

Personally I'm not keen on using templates for a website, hell I'm not a webdesigner and I'm atleast doing my own design (and the coding etc) rather than just doing the same as potentially another deisgner in your area.

If you look at all of us on here we all have sites that show something about our personal/company style of work, if I was to see yours it just says empty (ignoring the amount of work), maybe even lacking creativity as its a template (with a link to it too!).

As you say you have all these awesome ideas for a website, why not try and learn how to do some html yourself, (no offence intended to web dev's etc here) the basics aren't that complicated to get to grips with if you get a good resource to work from (w3c), if your design is all fancy stuff then obviously its more complicated.

howdy, yeah the tm is a spec for me as well, thanks for brinning that up. Will fix it/get rid of it tomorrow (tomorrow meaning tuesday hehe). Also will think of a way to add to it. Maybe introducing a colour or something . . . not sure yet. But agree that it is too dry at the moment. .

The reason I am using this perticular template (and link to it too) is because I like their philosophy and what they have achived in the design comunity. So showing my support and appreciation.

I am not really into personal banding (now I know ive got hardly any work up at the moment) but I do truely believe that the work comes first. Even before fancy buttons and personal logos (I know, mental)

Hopefully by the end of the year the website will be full of rich colourful work from myself, different collaborators and so on. Im about to have a busy year!!!

(Thus not having time to learn about CSS and so on)

Thanks for the feedback. Will keep thinking about a way to jazz it up a notch.

Onartis said:
That's hardly a website but okay. Keep trying :p

EDIT: maybe you should start out by designing a site in photoshop... ? Can be something minimal.
Photoshop is for girls! haha, just joking. Not sure how that would help me dude. Wont be able to code the f***er anyway . . .

+ dont think Photoshop is the correct sofware for designing websites. Prefer InDesign.

Thanks again.

13faces said:
Photoshop is for girls! haha, just joking. Not sure how that would help me dude. Wont be able to code the f***er anyway . . .

+ dont think Photoshop is the correct sofware for designing websites. Prefer InDesign.

Thanks again.

You're wrong. It's not about preference. They're completely different tools for different purposes. Photoshop is very much the correct software for designing websites. InDesign is primarily for print.

Aarlev said:
You're wrong. It's not about preference. They're completely different tools for different purposes. Photoshop is very much the correct software for designing websites. InDesign is primarily for print.

Ditto. Photoshop (or perhaps illustrator - at least you can set the doc up in pixels).

Indesign is WRONG for web. WRONG.

once again your just not quite right :) I don't know anyone who doesnt design web in photoshop, illustrator isnt much use unless your using flash as you'll loose all the benefits of vector because it wont be resizing anyway.

So, did you design the font used on "touch me" ?

Photoshop for general work including web, however Fireworks is really the best tool for generating web graphics / designs, juts not many peeps realise it.

Sunburn said:
Photoshop for general work including web, however Fireworks is really the best tool for generating web graphics / designs, juts not many peeps realise it.

I've heard that from a few people now. I have to give it a go soon. I'm just so damn comfortable with Photoshop. Do you have all the same things in FW as in PS like layer masks and the same layer styles (pattern, gradient overlay etc). ?

I thought fireworks just saved better? end of the day its pixels - you could use paint and get the same results so I suppose it doesnt actually matter what you use, I personally find photoshop to be the easiest and most reliable way of rendering pixels how I like them, whatever tool you choose is fine as long as you understand the reasons for that choice.

We design all our stuff in Fireworks.... I'm not saying anything about the crit of the web because it's Friday, a Bank Holiday weekend, and I'm about to shut off and chill till Tuesday.

I think I am being miss understood yet again. . .

To design websites I use indesign because it is faster to do a layout . . .
no idea what a web developer uses to build them . . . Fireworks you say?

ps. I always treat a website like print (well almost)

Aaaaaanyway, enjoy you bank holiday just like Berry said!! Hope its sunny where you are people!

13faces said:
I think I am being miss understood yet again. . .

To design websites I use indesign because it is faster to do a layout . . .
no idea what a web developer uses to build them . . . Fireworks you say?

ps. I always treat a website like print (well almost)

Aaaaaanyway, enjoy you bank holiday just like Berry said!! Hope its sunny where you are people!

Nobody misunderstood you. Most Web Designers use Photoshop (or Fireworks) to design the layout. Then you can develop the site using DW, Notepad++ (or other text editors). Why on earth would you design a website layout in InDesign? And why would you treat a website like print when web has nothing to do with print? You don't create a website to print it, but to put it online (although you can make it print friendly but that's CSS and coding related).

Just faster for me I guess, no rendering as it uses preview and I feel that In Design gives me a much better control over the layout (the gird systems) and more importantly text editing.

So I treat it like print . . . then hand it over to the web dude to solve (they are very clever!!!)

So where is your problem? Coming up with a good design, or not knowing how to code it?

Developers tend to hand-code their sites using applications such as Notepad++ (Windows); Textmate/Coda (Mac); or DreamWeaver (both). Less experienced developers often use Dreamweaver, whether it be because of the WYSIWYG-feature, or because it can automatically code their website from a design they made in Photoshop (try not to rely on that last method).

Back