First Client Website

charles said:
I think that the menu font should be changed as it's a bit dated, I would use something like a bold verdana personally.

Having said that it's all about personal taste as well....

Used a standard font before but lots of people thought it looked boring ! :mad:

Aside from whether I like the font or not, I feel that the menu font isn't particularly harmonious with the text/banner font.

Rather than change the easily readable main text to match the menu I would go for a different menu font.

Again, that's just my personal opinion on how I would go about it.

charles said:
Aside from whether I like the font or not, I feel that the menu font isn't particularly harmonious with the text/banner font.

Rather than change the easily readable main text to match the menu I would go for a different menu font.

Again, that's just my personal opinion on how I would go about it.

Alot of people said it looks good so atm sticking the same one :p

Elekate said:
A lot of people said it looks good so am sticking the same one :p

But are they knowlegeable enough to tell you why it looks good?

"I like it" isn't a justification of informed and good creative judgement.

A lot of people bought the 'Birdy Song" but it never got an Grammy.

Ok I haven't actually commented on it yet so here goes :)
[testing in firefox 3.5]

Background - is there supposed to be a band of white (roughly half depth of car image) at the top above the red? It look right if it is supposed to be there.

the menu - ignoring any font issues here, the actual images shift (this is down to the images being cut about 1 pixel different) left and up in some cases.

I personally don't like the font or the placement of the menu, I think for the header image a horizontal bar type menu would work better, it would also hide the 'cropping' of the image used in the header.

The menu at the bottom, never personally seen the point in them as I don't actually think I've ever clicked on them, but they seem in fashion at the moment. However yours seems out of place with your link underneath it. Maybe try a couple of different places to see if it can be balanced out more.

Prices page - it has coded text at the top.

On all pages I would add an extra line worth of padding to the text area, the box is just a little too close compared with the first page.

Now for the personal overly picky things :)

The car images - who took the pictures, there isn't one which isn't cropping part of the car off. The bottom image is also squashed vertically making the car look more like the 406 than the 207.
Testimonials - 2 have dates, 2 don't, personally I'd remove the dates, unless you intend to be updating every couple of months. Mari Roberts also says she'd been learning on and off since she was 17 but doesn't say for how long or gives a current age.

Levi said:
Ok I haven't actually commented on it yet so here goes :)
[testing in firefox 3.5]

Background - is there supposed to be a band of white (roughly half depth of car image) at the top above the red? It look right if it is supposed to be there.

the menu - ignoring any font issues here, the actual images shift (this is down to the images being cut about 1 pixel different) left and up in some cases.

I personally don't like the font or the placement of the menu, I think for the header image a horizontal bar type menu would work better, it would also hide the 'cropping' of the image used in the header.

The menu at the bottom, never personally seen the point in them as I don't actually think I've ever clicked on them, but they seem in fashion at the moment. However yours seems out of place with your link underneath it. Maybe try a couple of different places to see if it can be balanced out more.

Prices page - it has coded text at the top.

On all pages I would add an extra line worth of padding to the text area, the box is just a little too close compared with the first page.

Now for the personal overly picky things :)

The car images - who took the pictures, there isn't one which isn't cropping part of the car off. The bottom image is also squashed vertically making the car look more like the 406 than the 207.
Testimonials - 2 have dates, 2 don't, personally I'd remove the dates, unless you intend to be updating every couple of months. Mari Roberts also says she'd been learning on and off since she was 17 but doesn't say for how long or gives a current age.

Not sure what you mean about the menu...:confused:

Second to comment about the font, maybe a few suggestions would be appreciated to change the font to, I just wanted something that looks effective but not default and boring at the same time :p

Berry & Charles - as you commented on the font not looking good, do you have any suggestions for an alternative which would look good?

Will sort the prices page out ! :up:

The Car images - Driving instructor took these pictures, same for the one on the header.

Testimonials - I will take the dates out, but it's what he had on the old site which I presummed would look ok on the new on, never the less will make the change :)

Cheers for the input guys!

That looks a lot better imo

Only thing that stands out to me now is the shortness of the word car above testimonials. could put vehicle...? but then that sounds a bit strange.. hmm

lol sorry now I'm sounding picky...

Hi Kate,

It's looking a lot better.

I really don't like the font you've used and I think you should left align the menu instead of center aligning it.

The padding still looks odd. You've got too much left/right padding on the content. Would look better if you had the same amount as the top padding.

I would also suggest increasing the line height in the body text. It looks very cramped making the text hard to read.

Links need styling. The default blue with underline doesn't look great.

Have you got any other images you can use? The current one is not very sharp. If not try to sharpen it a bit in PS. (sharpen/unsharp mask)

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Soren

Aarlev said:
Hi Kate,

It's looking a lot better.

I really don't like the font you've used and I think you should left align the menu instead of center aligning it.

The padding still looks odd. You've got too much left/right padding on the content. Would look better if you had the same amount as the top padding.

I would also suggest increasing the line height in the body text. It looks very cramped making the text hard to read.

Links need styling. The default blue with underline doesn't look great.

Have you got any other images you can use? The current one is not very sharp. If not try to sharpen it a bit in PS. (sharpen/unsharp mask)

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Soren

Hey Soren!

Thanks for the tips, again will try and add them to the site!

Yeah thought I edited the links on the site but obviously not worked :(

Will try PS the images

Thanks,

Kate

Just to say now that the website is now finished but am tweaking here and there, but no major tips are needed now.

If you still want to help I am creating a portfolio which I have pointed out which parts I am struggling with in another thread,

Cheers for all the help guys! :D

Ha great deal Kate - I hope you passed!

I like the site. Its simple and does the job, which I think all a driving school website really needs.
However, Im not much for the menu, maybe tweek it a little, its a bit chunky and im not a fan im afraid.

Good work though x

HippySunshine said:
Ha great deal Kate - I hope you passed!

I like the site. Its simple and does the job, which I think all a driving school website really needs.
However, Im not much for the menu, maybe tweek it a little, its a bit chunky and im not a fan im afraid.

Good work though x

Thanks :) If you meant driving test not been doing lessons lately but test should hopefully be this year sometime when im ready for it anyway :)

The menu took alot of faffing around but like I said things are pretty much staying the same on the website now unless client says otherwise

Back