Final Cut Pro beginners

Mr J

Hi,
I know most people on here are designers but...I have always wanted to learn how to edit films. Can anybody recommend any good starter points/video tutorials/ Web sites for the software Final Cut Pro?

Windows Movie Maker FTW! lol. Yeah try messing about with iMovie first, apple might have some tutorials available for that?

CreativeCOW

And register yourself on the FCP forum on Apple's site. Plenty of helpful nerds on there.

Forget iMovie (unless it's free or you have it already) get FC Express, it's a cheaper, easy intro to FCP, kind of like Photoshop elements. Even with full-blown FCP, the basics are very easy, it gets more complex the deeper you delve.

Alternatively check out Premiere. CS5 is a massive leap forward from previous versions and probably easier to get started with as it's much, much more friendly with different file-types, codecs and movie containers.

Good luck.

Ive recently been playin about with premier which I believe is very very similar to final cut pro... I got myself a copy of lynda.com tutorial dvd which pretty much walks you through everything you'll need to know and its very easy to follow.

This is my first proper video using my newly found skills
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlQk9Hr8p0]YouTube - Slovakia 2011 snowboard holiday - Propaganda Snowboards - GoPro HD[/ame]

Br3n: NICE video ;)
Matt: Thanks for the creative cow link.

so is this imovie free at all? is it easy to download? Maybe i should check out both imovie and FC Express and see what suits me to beginning with...

iMovie's practically free. It's part of iLife which is £46. FC Express is £132.

As with most things you get what you pay for, FC Express will undoubtably offer you much more flexibility and options. But if you're a complete beginner then probably best to start off with iMovie before you invest in more complex software. For total novices FC can be a bit of a headache to get started.

Alternatively go to the adobe site and download a fully functional trial of Premiere. You'll get a month to play around with it before it you need to buy a serial. That could be a great way to get a taste of video editing without costing you anything. They also do a lighter version called Premiere Elements should you wish to take the Adobe route to editing. There's certainly something to be said for that route if you're already familiar with any of their other CS applications.

well I have no past experiences with either programs. So I shall take the majority of advice and start with imovie's.

As I said previously, it's part of iLife which is made by Apple and available to buy in the Apple store online or on the highstreet.

Back