Feeddback on my new personal site please

Music To The Eyes

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now, and there's some really inspiring stuff, and you all seem like a very helpful bunch.

I'm almost finished with my updated portfolio website, and wondered what you thought. I'm in the process of putting my pieces up, but all the structure is done. I've done it in Wordpress and rejigged someone else's theme, so don't blame me for the strange coding.

Helen Williams Design

Anyway, try not to be too harsh! :p

Thanks,

Helen x

Hi Helen,

Just had a quick look at your site, it looks very nice and no signs of any strange coding. Hurrah. I'm now following you on twitter!

Katie

Like your work, only one question, why does your name (box) come out of line with the rest of the boxes at the top?

Hey, thanks all!

@mrp2049 - damn, I knew there'd be something! It's because the logo is positioned absolutely (something the original coders put in) and the other boxes are relative to the wrapper. Thanks for pointing it out, will change.

Music To The Eyes said:
Hey, thanks all!

@mrp2049 - damn, I knew there'd be something! It's because the logo is positioned absolutely (something the original coders put in) and the other boxes are relative to the wrapper. Thanks for pointing it out, will change.

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds convincing!

Neither do I really... I've been learning how to code for about 5 days, so I'm probably talking nonsense.

Actually, I am, because the logo is fine as it turns out, it's the other boxes that have some invisible padding around them. Urgh, they might just have to stay the way they are!

Hi Helen,

Great site. And I love your work!

My only suggestion would be to left align the text on the front page and also on your contact page. It just looks a bit inconsistent to me when you have left aligned text on the about page.

Thanks,
Soren

Thanks Soren, I think you're right about the text alignment. I have a bit of a thing for centre justifying things; I need to get out of it! I've changed it now, I think it looks better.

Music To The Eyes said:
Thanks Soren, I think you're right about the text alignment. I have a bit of a thing for centre justifying things; I need to get out of it! I've changed it now, I think it looks better.

You're welcome Helen :)

I think it looks a lot better now.

I really like the site design and your style of work.

I especially like what youve done with the four buttons (facebook, twitter etc) on your contact page - such a simple concept but its been carried out so well and works so effectively!

One criticism of the site is that when I was using your navigation, nothing above the fold line (bottom of my browser) changed on the page so i was confused to what content had changed for a second or two.

Maybe add a funky heading for each page in the gap between your logo (left) and your navigation buttons (right)

Music To The Eyes said:
Neither do I really... I've been learning how to code for about 5 days, so I'm probably talking nonsense.

Actually, I am, because the logo is fine as it turns out, it's the other boxes that have some invisible padding around them. Urgh, they might just have to stay the way they are!

it doesn't matter, it doesn't look bad really. It was as much a question, if they are meant to be in line then, cool, if not, tell me to p-p-p-piss off! :D

I love it, but have to agree with Phil. On a smaller screen you don't think anything has changed at first and question if the site is working.

A selected state on the nav graphic might be a simple way around it: crude but does the job

helen.jpg

great work though :)

Thanks again for all the constructive feedback guys.

@mrp2049 - They were supposed to be in line, and it's now fixed! You don't need to piss off.

@philjohns - My favourite bit is the buttons too! They were added as an afterthought, but now I just sit and play with them for hours! Credit has to go to my brother for coding them, though; I wouldn't have had a clue.

As for the weird navigation, I see what you mean. My screen's fairly large, so I didn't pick up on it. I'm still not sure what I can do that won't look too crude or obvious. I'll have a think about it anyway, thanks!

Very original :up:
And in contrast with Michael, I like it that your logo box is bigger. I totally love the buttons on your contact page! Actually the only thing I'm a bit annoyed with (and I know it's lame, but okay) is that "I AM A DESIGNER" feels a bit unnatural, I would contract those two.

Music To The Eyes said:

Hey Helen.

As you're new in the coding scene may I recommend you do your debugging in firefox so you can use this add-on?

It's the best tool out there for debugging and pretty user friendly, I would recommend it to anyone interested in the code side of websites.

Firebug - FF Add-ons

Nice site with some very nice work.

I've got to join in with a big thumbs up for those buttons on the contact page :up: Such a simple concept yet I've never seen it done before.

Back