Feedback requested for my portfolio site

Rob

Hi everyone,

I've recently updated my site with new content and a new look and feel. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you can offer. Areas I am concerned with:

- Do I write the content in first or third person? Right now it's in first person but have heard it's better to write 3rd, as it's less annoying to read. :confused:

- I'm having difficulty with the writing in general, getting a good balance of professionalism and approachability. Any help here would be great. ;)

- The site does not operate well in IE6 due to border issues. :mad:

- I don't really have an identity, or branding yet. I'm going to be focusing on this in the weeks to come.

Any feedback is welcome.

www.robertwestwood.com

I immediately associated the wood texture on the left (geographically being west) with your name. Not sure if that was intentionally but it worked for me. The design is very simple and very effective.

The two things that bother me is that I sometimes had some trouble reading the white text on the green background in your subnav (on selected state). And second, I had to click on the text and couldn't click on the space next to it (set to display:block; ).

Onartis said:
I immediately associated the wood texture on the left (geographically being west) with your name. Not sure if that was intentionally but it worked for me. The design is very simple and very effective.

The two things that bother me is that I sometimes had some trouble reading the white text on the green background in your subnav (on selected state). And second, I had to click on the text and couldn't click on the space next to it (set to display:block; ).

Thanks Onartis,

First, the name / wood texture relationship is a love and hate issue for me. I wanted to keep the interface as clean as possible, but use a very organic texture to give it some life. It does work, sort of hand in hand with my last name, but it might be a little silly in some people's eyes, shallow perhaps.

I'm thinking of redoing the wood texture by hand, and making the lines in the wood illustrations, so it's not as literal.

That's a good point about the area around the text, I will have to fix that, hadn't though of it, thanks! :clap:

I like it basically, but I think that you should concider merging the wood-frame and the menu. Then you can have the subnav in green perhaps. The three rows take up too much space concidering what you get for it. Speaking in numbers, 400px isn't too much for a menu, but optical it seems overwhelming, especially since the pictures of your pieces aren't that big. They are, upon checking, actually as wide as you menu with submenu out. I like the color-scheme though

I think you should widen the header bar and the nav bar a bit....it is too narrow for me. Other than that it's cool.

I do think you should add more paragraphs like this:

"When not at work, I'm exploring the fine Portuguese bakeries of Dundas West, experimenting with various types of chili recipes, or attempting to learn the guitar. I like to think I'm a dog person first and foremost, although I don't have much trouble getting along with cats."

I think that is a great paragraph that brings in the kind of personal touch that you want intermingled with all the professional talk...works well...and let's people know your personable in my opinion.

Back