Feedback please :)

Kezzer

Hi All

I got some really good info last time I posted. As a student I have been working on an assignment which is to re brand and existing on line company. I chose M and M Direct which sells branded fashion at discount prices. I have my final logo and would appreciate some feedback please. Looking forward to your comments good or bad :icon_tongue_smilie:.

Many Thanks

Kez
M-and-M-Direct-Logo2.jpg

Hi Kez,

Hope you don't mind but I think you have a long way to go with this rebrand.

I think the first thing you need to do is reduce the size of the footprint of your logo - if you look at the existing MandM Direct homepage, the logo in the top corner takes up very little space and fits quite nicely into a rectangle (with space for a strapline).

If it helps with your logo construction, take a screen grab of their home page and work within the space the existing logo fits.

I'm not very keen on the tag string forming the D as it looks too weak (as does the rest of word 'direct'). As the MandM logo has too compete with so many other logo's and ads on the home page, their logo has to have lots of impact and be to grab visitors attention.

A few other small issues - your logo reads 'MM and Direct' instead of 'MandM Direct' and you haven't incorporated '.com' into your logo - remember that this is a online brand.

Sorry to be so negative and rip your work apart...hopefully you won't be too disheartened.

Thanks

Scott

no no dont worry thats what I want, people like you to be honest or i'm not going to learn :)

Thanks for the reply I will take all your points on board.

Your logo does fall over a huge space. The footprint definitely needs dramatically reducing.
For me, it reads MM Direct AND. Which clearly isn't how you want this to be read at all.
You should work on some graphic devices that lead the eye around the logo in the fashion you want it to be read. Notice how the already existing logo uses colour to drag your eye through the composition of the logo.
I like the idea of tags, but the string forming the D isn't working. It's not impacting enough. The tag shape could be quite a nice idea to play around with though.

New ideas

After my first attempt and some feedback I went back to the sketch pad and came up with a few more ideas. Could you guys tell me if they have improved any? or am I going backwards?

Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated.

Attachments

• M&M-Logo-Assignment2.jpg
    M&M-Logo-Assignment2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 47
I think there's a definite improvement on the previous versions...one thing you need to be aware of is the brand name seems to always be written 'MandM...' instead of using an ampersand (as per your logo).

I'm not that keen on the way '.com' is handwritten...this doesn't have anything to do with an online brand

My advice now would be refine what you've created so that every mark and stroke of the logo has some relevance.

Cheers

Logo Authority

Hi Kezzer , Nice to meet you.
After seeing your logo , I think we need to think about what Internet Company's do and understand the way in which they symbolize their authority. A good example of what I'm trying to explain is this site Very - Womens, Mens, & Kids Clothing | Furniture, Electricals, Homeware & More . What do you notice about their logo ?

Its 100% Typography
logo.gif

The way Internet branding has changed in the past few years certainly is that , Logo's have grown ever increasingly reliant on raw format text but displayed in unique ways.

Another good example of unique stand alone typography branding is this logo ( Courtesy of logopond.com )

typographic-logo-2.png

( What do you notice about this logo ? Each character is defined and clear , You can tell its professional although it remains a unique company by the quirky character change in the middle ... minor things can have huge impacts and provoke thoughts into the customers mind ... things which you might not have even explored or considered prior to this post ( You probablly have so i'll drop the condescending tone now... *Dropped* )

What do I think your doing wrong ?

I think your focusing on the sidelines of Internet branding , and branding in general... I.e. Combining text with image ( not that this isn't acceptable but it must be done in a controlled and suited way ) where as branding is more abstract now adays ... hence stand alone typography.

Personally what do I think you should do?

Limit yourself to say ... a 150 x 150 pixel box... and explore typography , ( this is because its always challenging and exciting to work within limits and boundaries as thats when you overcome issues in usually very creative manners and persona's )

- Vary Size
- Vary Height
- Vary Fonts ( Although as usual K.I.S.S applies , thus maximum of 2-3 fonts )
- Vary Colour
- Vary Layout

The options are endless , ... Hope this helped

Last edited:
hi

Thanks for your input guys. I have got some good positive feedback to work with and I will be back again soon when I have developed my ideas :)

I agree with DanielMartin, a strong typographic logo would Definitely help the brand to stand out amongst the many other logos used on the M&M Direct Website.

I would also look at trying to install an simple idea to the logo, as it can add substance to an all type logo.

heart_logo.jpg

Also my first thought would be to try a Sans font as they are usually stronger, but it might be nice contrast to try a Serif style to contrast the many other Sans Serif based logos used by the brands on their site.

Last thoughts please

Hi guys

As my assignment was to re brand this company I have also created a visual of a homepage because I thought the original web site was cluttered and far to busy. I am happy with the outcome of both logo and Homepage visual and I have also considered how I would create the glow around the images if I had to build this web page in Dreamweaver. On that point I am going to create a another visual just to improve that part of the homepage because I think it would create more work for something that I could keep simple.

As I need to do an evaluation of my work it would be useful to get some final feedback from you guys because you have give me so much help so far which has enabled me to improve.

Over to you and thanks for your input good or bad it all helps me to evaluate my work.

Attachments

• Homepage.gif
    Homepage.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Final_logo.jpg
    Final_logo.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 15
Would you be able to upload a larger version of the homepage visual as it's too small to view at this size?

Logo Edits

I still feel the Logo needs a little bit of work as it looks a little dated.

I would start by making the M&M and the Direct underneath the same width and try placing all the text into the swing tag, to make it all one complete logo not two different elements.

And maybe try using rounded corners on the swing tag, as this should make the design appear more modern.

Hi :icon_smile:

It's got a lot better but the most glaringly obvious thing is - the company is M and M not M&M.

I think you still have a bit of work to do though; i'd agree with a previous post and look more into teh typography approach.

Good luck :icon_thumbup:

Hi guys

As my assignment was to re brand this company I have also created a visual of a homepage because I thought the original web site was cluttered and far to busy. I am happy with the outcome of both logo and Homepage visual and I have also considered how I would create the glow around the images if I had to build this web page in Dreamweaver. On that point I am going to create a another visual just to improve that part of the homepage because I think it would create more work for something that I could keep simple.

As I need to do an evaluation of my work it would be useful to get some final feedback from you guys because you have give me so much help so far which has enabled me to improve.

Over to you and thanks for your input good or bad it all helps me to evaluate my work.

I was about to post how much i liked the first try (which was only spoilt by the wording for me)

BUT, having seen what you did in the last iteration, its very good (although I am no expert.)

Back