Feedback on my CV Layout

jminnsmedia

Hey everyone,
Ive just be updating my black and white CV done in word several years ago with a new shiny indesign layout that I feel reflects me as a graphic designer, I like simple layouts that are not confusing on the eye.

I have attached it in .pdf format...

Jonathan Minns CV

Id be very grateful if anyone on this forum could shine some feedback on my work.

Many Thanks

J.Minns

PS
Google Docs seems to have ripped loads of the quailty out of the file... not sure why!

Wow very in depth, and nicely laid out...

however, maybe it's a bit too in depth. I imagine, and I'm sure Berry will correct me, that potential employers want to scan CVs get the relevant details and move on. Especially when they have a lot of CVs to go through.

I've found, and seen, that bullet points seem to garner a better response. Simple, and to the point, as well as keeping the CV to 1 single page.

Example: http://www.rbryant.co.uk/work/CV-Only.gif

Mines probably not a great example, but it kind of illustrates what I'm getting at.

You're on the right track (in my opinion.. which could be wrong :p) just needs a bit of finesse.

Hi Jonathan.

Becky's right, it's far too long. Try and get it onto one side of A4. Also you need to take the photo off.

In terms of design it's fine I guess. Line length is a bit long on the first page. Going to two columns may save you some space. You probably don't need to list every module of your BTEC and every GCSE you took either, just put your overall grades.

Jim.

first thing that I see is quite dark grey blocks which could make it hard to read, especially with the choice of a thin weight font.

Also don't see the point in repeating yourself on the 2 items in employment, you could have adapted the date to show it was 2 times

edit: Becky, your's look like you've been trying to match the df colour scheme :p

Levi said:
first thing that I see is quite dark grey blocks which could make it hard to read, especially with the choice of a thin weight font.

Also don't see the point in repeating yourself on the 2 items in employment, you could have adapted the date to show it was 2 times

edit: Becky, your's look like you've been trying to match the df colour scheme :p

Gotta love the cyan and grey!

Definitely stick to one page and lose the photo. And perhaps put your skills in as the first thing. As Becky said, recruiters and employers just scan through it so it might be a good idea to have the most important bits at the top.

Hi,
Many thanks for all the brilliant critique, i really do appreciate it... i have taken some of the advice you guys and girls gave me and got a new version for you nice people to take a look at

J.Minns CV - Version 2

I dont think putting that you were a labourer on a building site is relevant when applying for a graphic design position. I would also get rid of the photo.

DeanZappy said:
I dont think putting that you were a labourer on a building site is relevant when applying for a graphic design position. I would also get rid of the photo.

Especially as the skills you list don't relate to design work. Maybe bring into it the time management skills etc. deadlines ... stuff like that :D

The typeface for the main text just looks "ugly" (and the letter spacing is out). Try using something semi-bold but nicely smoothed. I personally loved using Avenir 65 for my CV.

I've found when it comes to grabbing a prospective design studio by the balls is to actually submit your CV as a peice of art. It's all very well and good "tarting up" a word document, but give the extra mile approach a shot.

Rather than say you've got such and such in design and marketing, SHOW them ;)

30 Artistic and Creative Résumés | Webdesigner Depot

CV - in my eyes should be 1 page at most, with condensed easy to read quality information. Bullet point your major information - i'd lose of your individual GCSE's - just say XX GCSE's etc.

Short concise information that a potential employer can quickly and cleanly understand and store.

Good luck.

And lose the photo.

completely agree with Ross, CV should be 1 page max. If you want to have a portfolio samples PDF then that would be best done in a different file as an optional file for the potential employer to look at :)

Definitely loose the photo (to agree with Ross), they won't look at it, and its just a pointless addition. You're not applying for work as an actor, what you look like is irrelevant. :)

Back