Feedback needed for Logo design for my assignment)

pschol

Hi all.

I am seeking feedback to support my assignment. I have chosen to create a logo for a retro arcade game company that allows you to stream media online through gaming platforms such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

The company brand is called JOYSTICK!

The logo design symbolized elements of retro arcade games that would instantly be familiar gamers of that period yet also appeal to a younger audience.

I have chosen an iconic secondary character of the game ‘Pacman’ to symbolize not only a genre and period but also represents 100s of games within the company’s catalogue, similarly to Sonic the Hedgehog representing Sega and Mario representing Nintendo.

By using the word ‘Joystick’ the logo represents the genre in a recognizable form and is immediately segmented from modern genres of gaming.

I would love to hear your feedback

Retro%20game.png

Save the image to your desktop and upload it to your post. It's an attachment on a university forum that's not publicly accessible.

I'm pretty sure the Pacman ghosts, and most other recognisable characters are copyrighted, meaning a company wouldn't be able to use them as their own trademark. You can still hint at this retro feel but whatever you create as a logo or symbol of a company has to be unique (unless you want a lawsuit on your hands). Also, the name of the company is Joystick, yet you've broken it up to read Joy Stick. I'd display it as one word if that's how they use it in marketing material.

I'd also simplify everything right down to the bare essential elements. A rule of thumb I have with logo design is, you should be able to draw it in pen on paper in less than a minute. If you can do that and it's still recognisable then you've probably got a winner on your hands. You have a lot going on here that you wouldn't be able to replicate quickly in a single colour: highlights on the text, a neon sign type outline around everything, a background with multiple outlines and finally a noise/grain effect on the ghost.

Just strip it right back to only essential shapes. You could do something unique just with type, or combine this idea of streaming retro games through new consoles – an Xbox/PS4 style controller with an arcade stick and 2/3/4 buttons for example?

Back