Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed Up!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Stationery Direct, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

What a crappy couple of weeks...

As well as other issues I got a 1 star review from a customer that signed off some artwork with a typo, content they supplied and in the review stated it was actually their fault for not checking properly, yet rated us 1 star for not noticing an issue with their address which we would not know unless advised.

...and a 3 star review from a regular who we have delivered 11 orders to on time with no problem (no reviews from them), and this week deliver on the 8th working day of a stated 6-8 working day turnaround on this particular product to get a negative review.

Running your own business is so much fun!

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Have you chased them up to perhaps ask what you could do to improve the rating they gave you? Obviously I'm sure you've done everything you can but some people are so pedantic maybe they didn't like that you forgot a full-stop in an email or something?

Some people are just never happy. When you say you'll deliver in 6–8 working days, they probably assume they'll have it within 3. Drying time be damned!

Stationery Direct likes this.
  3. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Can you reply to the reviews? Are they public? If so, politely respond and state the reasons for both.

Both quite reasonable.

Another approach, as Paul says, is to make contact. Thank them for the review, and state that negative reviews give you great insight to how you operate. Thank them for the review and offer to meet them to resolve any issues going forward.

Turn that frown upside down!

4. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Yeah we get to respond (publicly), but people only tend to look at your overall review score, granted we are still 5 stars but a few like this can really bring down your rating in time and it's hard not take these reviews personally sometimes.

I contacted both but when we have not actually done anything wrong it's hard to get them to understand. Trustpilot is great when all goes well but gives a platform to those when it doesn't.

Oh well, the weekend's here!! :D

5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

That's the trouble with online ratings and reviews, they can have a detrimental impact on business because of a few negative reviews. There was a programme I watched years ago about some business who were suffering because of negative TripAdvisor reviews. It was on Channel 4, so probably Cutting Edge or something.

There are some visitors who think of themselves as critics and leave overly harsh reviews because they think they're doing a public service or something. There was a couple who actually invited back this 'critic' to their B&B in the hopes they could get them to re-review and change their old one as it was dragging their overall score down and they were losing out to their competitors, despite actually providing a very good service.

After a weekend of free food an accommodation they refused to change the review and there was a huge argument over the breakfast table.

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

When looking at 'reviews' I actually do look at the 1-3 star more than the 5 star reviews because they're 'worse case scenario' of the product I'm buying.
    The amount of times I read a 1 star review and thought the reviewer was a complete idiot is huge, some of the things they've complained over are stupid or they should have known the issue would be there before buying it (think buying a cpu that doesn't work in motherboard because it's the wrong socket...). Don't assume the people just look at numbers and that people are wise enough to read the reviews to see how stupid some of them are.

Mind you this does remind me I must leave some 1-3 star reviews on ebay over a recent purchase....

7. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I once read a review about a hotel I was going to stay at:

[​IMG]

8. ash

ash Member

Lol, thank you so much for cheering me up (since I had a hell of a day so far), that review really made me laugh :)