Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Foods / Can You Cook?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Tony Hardy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

What is anyone's favourite food or type of food?

And also, how many of us can cook?

I love Italian and Mexican food and am slowly becoming a fairly proficient chef! Right now I'm busy making a chilli and it smells fantastic. My favourite foods are chilli, nachos, lasagne and bolognese.

What does anyone else like? Does anybody care to share some recipes?

2. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

I am one of those blessed people who seem to be able to chuck ingredients together and end up with something half decent tasting. I can cook a lot of things but one of the things I enjoy the most is steak (blood rare) and nothing else.

3. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

I would love someone else to cook for me!! Though I have recently taken up making bread...much better than shop-bread!

4. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

Oh Kate were it that I lived nearby to you I would happily cook for you daily

5. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

I cook all the meals in our house. My Sunday roasts go down well. A nice joint of beef or chicken, roast potatoes, all sorts of veg. I knock up a mean chilli too! For pudding, I make a lemon meringue pie on a weekly basis!! Love it.

6. Tony Hardy

@Ross, Do you make your chilli with chopped tomatoes or passata? Do you use one of them little packet mixes are crack all the herbs in it yourself? Haha.

I put red peppers in mine. Love it.

7. Nakaji

Nakaji New Member

I am not very good at cooking, but I always cook my food according to the steps that I searched from the website, you can have a try!

8. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

I put red and green peppers in. I also put chopped baby tomatoes in. Along with kidney beans (obviously). then I use a packet of some sort of herb.

If you're feeling lazy, Homepride jars of chilli sauce are great.

9. For chilli - Aduki beans - they are the way forward! Red kidney beans and aduki beans, with red, yellow and green peppers (for the sour / sweet crunch) dry-fried in with the onions, before anything else, to get that slight smokey flavour going. Do it in a Le Creuset pot (cast-iron: it makes a lot of difference), along with chopped baby tomatoes and one of those packet mixes (they are better than using the 'erbs yourself), and you have an awesome chilli! Certainly beef over lamb.

Also freezes well, so I have been freezing them in individual portions and warming them in the oven (then in saucepan to get heated through) as and when needed - saving a fortune on a food, which is useful given the hopeful career change and salary drop of c.50% later this year.

Also discovered a good way of freezing home made cottage pies, to make sure the mash is still edible, should anyone be interested.

God, I'm hungry now.

10. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

I am currently loving Asian food as we have a great Asian supermarket down the road from me. Sushi, Soba noodle soups, fresh spring rolls (Vietnamese) tom Yum. Yep I love cooking! At the moment I'm not eating any farmed meat, I have managed this for 6 months now and its going good, (slowly learning about different foods and how they're produced etc.)

11. Tony Hardy

@ThreeFallingDucks

Sound pretty much the way I do mine, minus the aduki beans, never tired them before. I love a good chilli. What do you have with it? I'm a pig and go for rice and chips haha :) sometimes nachos.

The packet mixes are great, but never have enough "chilli kick" so I always add some dried chilli flakes to the mix.

12. Rice and chips?? Crikey! I just go with rice (brown if my missus gets her way, white boil-in-the-bag if I'm doing it just for me!), and pitta breads (again, brown if my other half is eating with me). Though, I like the idea of chilli-nachos; just add beer and football, and sounds like a great day!

My girlfriend adds dried chilli flakes to the mix too - we always have chilli peppers hanging up in our south-facing windows, which she leaves for a few weeks and then grinds up - tastes great, but looks like a creepy hand silhouetted in the windows at night. Freaky.

We have a geordie flatmate, who is disappointingly healthy - deep fried nothing! She's a right let down, but her mam dropped in the other day and brought stotti(?) - that's some good t'northern bread!

13. Katedesign

What! Are you eating 'roadkill'? Or just free-range?

I have a client who only eats RAW foods - just did some packaging for her Granola, Crackers and Sweet Bites. Not completely to my taste.

I make a lot of soup as well. Parsnip and Apple very good. Try hard not to eat processed food but my husband does love sausages! Am slowly digging up the garden and growing my own stuff as well.

@spottypenguin - if only... but I've been cooking for so long now it's great when someone else does the cooking!

14. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

No not free range and maybe I'd be up for eating road kill...but really I mean Wild, so not farmed at all.. e.g. wild rabbit, game, wild fish e.g wild salmon and sea fish etc.
    I just think that farmed meat has a massive carbon foot print and we shouldn't be so reliant on meat and animal products as the main focus of our food. I have had this thought for a long time and just though how hard can it be, it's great, i eat lots of new stuff and can adapt any recipe to have a veggie or seafood slant. and I have cut my food bill by half!

15. Katedesign

Yes - going veggie is a great way to save money! As a student (way back when vegetarians were unusial) I was veggie. Where do you get your wild meat?

16. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

I get most of it from local butchers and fish mongers. When I go home to Cornwall I try and get stuff from there as its much cheaper:)

17. Tony Hardy

Like I said, I'm a pig haha. Chilli, nachos, beer and football is a winning combination though! That happens in my house at least once a week haha.

Stottie is some good bread indeed :) Where are you location wise ThreeFallingDucks?

Also t'northern, I think the whole t' thing stops at Yorkshire. I went to Uni in Leeds, and it always "Go down t'pub....go t'lights and turn t'right"...Jesus christ. I've been back in Newcastle over a year now and I've never ever heard it up here ;) (the real North).

18. I've been in London for the past three years, Birmingham born and raised though (took me an age to lose that accent).

Sorry to go all t' on you, but you can't really get the whole way-ay-man, hadaway-an-sheite, or alreeeeet, down in text so well!

I used to be a pizza and deep-fried-stuff kinda guy, but my girlfriend is slowly changing that; I made a lentil soup the other day for instance. I'm not proud...

19. pcbranding

pcbranding Member

Re. chilli - Use peeled plum tomatoes not chopped tomatoes. The juice is so much better from plum toms rather than the red watery liquid you get from chopped ones!
    My recipe has black pepper, cumin, cinnamon and chilli powder (rough tea spoon of each if you like it hot) - all crushed in pestle & mortar or Jamie Oliver 'shaker'. Sweat onions, brown mince, add in glass of red, boil off alcohol then add in the spice mix. Add in tinned toms, tomato puree AND some ketchup (it has sugar in it and adds a little something) and then add one or two beef OXOs. Good stir and leave for as long as you can. (I don't do the kidney bean thing - ew!)
    Brown rice and DIY garlic bread and that's me done!

20. isoPrint

isoPrint Member

haha i dunno if its just because I'm only 23 but I tend to live on takeaways ha or what ever the misses cooks (Can't remember the last time I cooked a successful meal) although i have been told I make a good steak pie.