Fast & Effective Cartoon Effect In Photoshop

glenwheeler

Ok what we are going to do is take this image and cartoon it!:

lewishamilton.jpg

Step one: Open the image in photoshop

Step 2: Go to filter >> Blur >> Guassian Blur and Set the radius 3.0 or higher depending on the effect your looking for.

Step 3: Go to edit >> Fade Gaussian Blur. I window will pop up, select mode to darken

Step 4: Duplicate the layer or copy and paste it on top

Step 5: Go to filter >> Other >> high pass >> set to 1.5 >> change the blending option of the copied layer to multiply. (You set this in the area just above the layers pallete.)

Step 6: Go to image >> Adjustments >> Threshold >> Move dial to give best effect.

Result should look something like this:

cartoonlewishamilton.jpg

I think its a great reference on how to do things in Photoshop when you can't always remember / don't know :)

Nice post Glen :) thanks for sharing :D

ha, sorry greg, i didnt mean to sound rude! its the first time ive ever seen a tutorial posted on DF and ive been here for a few months now, i didnt realise it was something that happened here, but now ive read the description of 'inspiration corner' its doesnt actually seem that random after all!
________
blondyasianX

davewill said:
ha, sorry greg, i didnt mean to sound rude! its the first time ive ever seen a tutorial posted on DF and ive been here for a few months now, i didnt realise it was something that happened here, but now ive read the description of 'inspiration corner' its doesnt actually seem that random after all!

lmao! No bother trooper! and I'm Glen dont get me mixed up with greg I might becomg DF director one day calling me that :O haha!

Glen, I'm going to be honest with you here and say that doesn't really look cartoony to me

Levi said:
Glen, I'm going to be honest with you here and say that doesn't really look cartoony to me

Sorry Glen but I agree with Levi. It looks the same but with black marks round it. Sorry dude

i think it's a pretty good tutorial, like it's good for quickness. You could probably make it look more cartoony if you played round with the levels etc. I had a little go last night.

I like it too. You know, it kind of makes the picture have a "Pop-Art" feel to it. Kind of like Andy Warhol style maybe?

Pop-Art.gif

Or possibly sort of a comic book illustration feel to it. True what Ally says though, the user could probably tweak the settings and play around with the overall look.

Levi said:

Did you have a play with the guassian blur? It can give different effects for different photos. Maybe I didnt use it enougth on this one.

But anyways...opinion accepted blud. Can I cartoonize you just to see what it looks like?

Back