Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fancy a film ?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Lunera, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Lunera

Lunera Senior Member

Hello

You know (or not really for the moment, but soon !->) I generally like British films. And so I'd like to know if there are British films that you (really) like, if you could advice me some films. Nothing too sad.

I've watched Billy Elliot, The Boat that Rocked, Four Weddings and one Funeral, Halam Foe, Keeping Mum and also It's a Free World (but I don't really like this one), etc...
    So, what about your favorite films ? :)

2. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Crank and Crank 2 are great, with Jason Statham :)
    And I also like the two Simon Pegg zombie movies: Shawn of The Dead (seriously, this is so so hilarious) and Hot Fuzz (not as good as the first one, but it's hard to top that one anyway). And I recently saw How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, also with Simon Pegg.

If I come up with any new ones, I'll just edit my post :)
    PS: the title makes it sound like an invite... where did you say you live? :p

And The Bank Job, with Jason Statham is a good one as well, based on true facts.

3. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Lol Crank was brilliant for the insane factor, but Crank 2?

I have 4 suggestions:

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
    Snatch
    Human Traffic
    Trainspotting (hey, whether they like it or not, Scottish is still British)

4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Do not speak ill of Crank 2!

You have picked up on Richard Curtis, his work is very 'feel good', check out his IMDB

Richard Curtis (I)

and go wild, there are some great films and TV shows in there!

I really like some of the films Colin Farrel has done that weren't really US aimed, In Bruge and Intermission spring to mind.

5. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

I keep meaning to check out Lock, Stock, I have heard good things about it. And sadly as yet I have not seen any of the other ones mentioned either, but I will have to take a look at them. :)

6. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

The same man who brought us Bridget Jones and Br Bean the Animated Series is now writing an episode of the new Doctor Who? Oh my.

Possibly the best british film in recent years!

7. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Layer Cake aswell, its not Guy Ritchie, but it is the rest of the Lock Stock Team. It's less gritty, more cool.

8. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Actually I have seen Layer Cake! It was great. :D I used to not go for the more violent. mob themed movies but Ive been more open minded lately.

And Jim awesome point. Worth mentioning another great series he was writing for as well. Black Adder of course?;)

9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

layer cake is a great book too!

10. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Abso-bloody-lutely!

11. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

This is England, great film

12. Lunera

Lunera Senior Member

Wow ! Thank you ! I looked at some informations about these films on allocine but I'll see this more precisely later (I have my exams next week, así estoy estudiando mis cursos a propocito de América Latina).

I saw one day the trailer of "Bruges" but it didn't seem to be interesting.
    "Shawn of The Dead" looks incredibly weird ! Oo lol

Oh and I didn't know that Richard Curtis wrote some episodes of Mr Beans !

and do you know funny british films ? (yes, I like to laugh :eek:)

13. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Interfrastically well put response!

14. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Excellent film! Not one I'd want to watch again for a while though.

15. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Get Carter...the original.

16. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

(It's not british, but this is a film thread so I may as well post here instead of making a new one)

I went and saw the new Nightmare on Elm Street last night. Not my usual sort of movie but I enjoyed it.
    Took me quite a while to realise the guy playing Krueger was the same guy who played Rorschach in Watchmen.
    I might go and watch the original sometime soon, since I've never even seen it.

17. Thewholehogg

Maybe you and Rhonda could go....:love:

18. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

They did another Elm Street movie? I really didn't even know one was being made lol. But good casting for the Krueger role, but I don't know the actors name:eek: Honestly i never was in horror films either, so I probably won't see this latest one. Guess I just can't personally find entertainment in that genera :)

Most recent movie for me was Iron Man 2. Was pretty good I thought, though I liked the first one too. If you go see it, definitely stick around to the end of the credits, that's all I will say;) And two coming soon I'll probably be seeing: Prince of Persia, and Last Airbender. Those are my kind of films.

19. Thewholehogg

I bet you loved Dances with Wolves?

20. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

will certainly agree with those!

I thought Sherlock Holmes was pretty good - also by Guy Ritchie