Facebook are now making page owners pay (£) :(

isoPrint

So facebook are now making us pay to post on our pages to promote it to all the people who have liked our ppages do ou think this is fair, maybe their time to end is coming close.

heres a pic
2dhgsbb.png

I don't see this on my page yet.

I can't see the logic behind this, surely it would be counter productive to page owners? If I was bombarded by the same message or content from a page I like for 3 days I'd unsubscribe from it instantly. My guess is they're trying to target bigger businesses and brands rather than smaller page users such as us.

Like Paul, this hasn't hit out page yet (not to say it won't). I guess the idea is to create an 'advert' about you post that will 'stick' somewhere to make sure all your likes see it. We know that posts disappear down the page order pretty quickly. This is the beginning of the active monetizing & potential death of Facebook and it has to do with poor share price performance after floatation.

I've already noticed that I'm being hassled by "trending" topics and products on my Facebook stream, extra faff is the last thing I want. I tend to use my FB page mainly to post scraps of work and links to blog posts and such like. I think I might actually move to Tumblr and use that as a sketchbook instead. Facebook's user interface is actually incredibly infuriating too, everything's hidden away. This could be the excuse I've looking for to finally forget about it :p

Is that not under the promote button, which is to do with having an advert placed on the right sidebar? So surely you can just ignore the promote bit and just post it?

I'm not really sure if I want to use Facebook much, if at all for business. I don't know how successful it can be. Not many people I know seem to have a huge success rate with it.

I find Facebook a chore - it's just more time sat in front of a monitor or tablet and I hate getting friend requests from people who aren't my friggin friends. I mean we're all so bloody connected and up to date with each others shit that what do we talk about when we meet? I'd really rather go out for a walk and get some fresh air

I've never used Facebook for work... I am on LinkedIn and I'm beginning to think that that's a waste of time also. There are people on there with more than 1000 business contacts. Perhaps all these 'connect-to-me' sites are outdated?

Have to say - similar comments as above - forums (certain ones), Twitter and LinkedIn are B2B. Facebook - C2C (but not for all sectors).

I use Twitter everyday, but mostly just posting links to interesting things. Barely for selling purposes. Forums are really great. I haven't gotten round to getting onto most of them yet, just this one and one or two others. It's finding quality forums that aren't just full of kids with Photoshop. No disrespect, but when the critique section is full of gamer tags and "sigs" it's probably not the place for me.

So since I put that picture up now without promoting our status we are only getting between 5-10% reach :(

eg1d84.png

We basically either going to have to pay to just ditch facebook :/ .....

Not every single update you post on your page gets viewed by all your contacts since it is subject to Facebooks 'edge' algorithm to work out if what you are posting is relevant and useful. This is why people who post loads of crap on Facebook often doesn't get delivered to all their contacts.

@ Isoprint - You wont have every got 100% reach..! You just assumed you got 100% reach, now it seems that it has been reduced.

Check out this article which puts the paid for updates in context... Do Page Owners Now Have to Pay to Reach Viewers? » ThatsNonsense.com Blog

I think you may be a little wrong I do think they are now limiting it to below 10% as the Insights show I was reaching 1000+ people daily and it has not dropped right down to around 300 people daily since this was put into action!

I think a lot of people are getting really worked up out of confusion based around this paid-for posts thing. Basically, your posts NEVER did reach 100% of your fanbase, due to Facebook algorithms, your posts would only show to people that had recently interacted with your page. Most people just weren't aware of this until they started putting the 'reach' data on the posts you make, so now everyone's freaking out.

We use Facebook extensively for promotion and it works very well for us. I've also run ads on Facebook which I've found incredibly good at reaching a relavant audience.

I think post have always reached a small fraction of fans, unless you have a lot of interaction and then you'll reach more as Facebook keeps active post up in peoples feed for longer (using the infamous Edge algorithm). On some of our busiest post we have still rarely hit more than 30% Recently we has a post that had 100 'likes' and still only reached 37% of our fans!

I think it also to do with how many people actually check their facebook around the time of the post. They say that it's more effective to post just after the hour as that's when most people will check their account (after meetings etc). Also there are peaks around 10am and 3pm. But morning post are better. It a whole science in itself!

The promote tag seems to just create ads for your post rather than push it up the feed, but I've obly used it once so not 100% sure on that.

Back