Ezie designs

eziemac

Alright!

Just looking for any comments or critique you may have for my new portfolio website. Most of my logos are'nt attatched to a company so if you have any comments on how to improve anything i'd be more than happy to hear them. :)
eziedesigns - logo design scotland
Cheers

Hi noteziemac/Euan,

Welcome to Design Forums, just taken a quick look at your site, from first impressions I like your portfolio, especially the Kite String Studio logo, sounds like that has been well received from what you've mentioned.

What's the main purpose of the site? I mean are you hoping to attract new clients from searches such as 'logo design Scotland'? Or is it more just a place to showcase your work so you can refer contact to the site to show what you're capable of? (as there's some basic SEO things that have been missed if it's the first)

I would personally look at switching the project titles on the homepage to white text as the red on the grey background is quite hard to read, you could even look at running a red stripe at the top of the grey background with the white text on top of that, if that makes sense.

If you're not planning to make use of the categories within the portfolio I would remove them from your portfolio sidebar as it seems pointless having them there with 'no categories'.

I think it would be good if you could say a bit more about your experience/history on the about us page, and really sell your branding services to potential clients, tell the client how your logo design can transform the way their business is seen or how it can add perceived added value to their services/products, etc. just something more than "We offer high quality logo design, at affordable prices" as this sort of statement is so common and doesn't really say a lot about what you can offer.

One last minor point I would look at the way you refer to Ezie Designs and your personal connection, some links you have 'My Portfolio, My Blog' etc then others it's 'Contact Us' for example. I would switch them all to say 'My' and make it a personal site, or all to 'Us' and give more of a company image, as at the moment it may be confusing or even slightly misleading.

Hope some of that helps, and look forward to hearing more from you.
Thanks, Greg

Just shutup and click the link, caroline! :p

Cheers Greg, some good points you mentioned.

The site is to attract clients. All of my logos are actually competition entrys, as i have never actually worked on a project for an individual client (apart from family)

As you can imagine, my number 1 priority is getting my name out there for people to see and so i can get work. I'm confident enough to say my designs are better than a lot of the people who are getting to the top of certain google rankings.

I understand what your saying about the personal website part. I was a little confused whether to speak in 3rd person as Ezie Designs or speak as myself, Euan Mackenzie. As Ezie Designs, there isnt a lot to say as the site is brand new and i have no history, so speaking as myself would be better.

cheers :)

Hi Euan,

No problems glad it might be of some use. In terms of which way to speak on your site, from what you've mentioned I think you would be best referring to Ezie Designs as the 'home of freelance designer Euan Mackenzie' so throughout the site say I ..., I think as long as that connection is clear it will be understood very quickly.

In terms of the services you offer is it just logo design that you focus on?
Greg

Yes, at the moment it's just logo design. I can do creative artwork and posters but at the moment i want to focus on logo design. I'm learning web design next semester in uni, so that is something i want to look into.

When i'm finished this course i am wanting to do a graphics for print course, so hopefully in 2 or 3 years time i'll be a fully fledged graphic designer :)

noteziemac said:
Yes, at the moment it's just logo design. I can do creative artwork and posters but at the moment i want to focus on logo design. I'm learning web design next semester in uni, so that is something i want to look into.

When i'm finished this course i am wanting to do a graphics for print course, so hopefully in 2 or 3 years time i'll be a fully fledged graphic designer :)

Nice stuff there.
Some good points by Greg.
It may take a bit longer to be a genuine fully fledged graphic designer tho. Work hard and be very patient. Too many people want it now, and think they can do it now. This game is a marathon not a sprint. Pace and patience reaps rewards.

Thanks Berry,

It was a little toungue in cheek when i said i will be a fully fledged designer in 3 years, although at one stage i would love to be great in the industry. Confidence is always good but finding modesty in a young designer is hard to find these days, mainly looking at spec work.

Anyway, i need to get through the less glamorous uni stage now, which is exams and reports! ugh!

My initial thoughts are your work is very good, elegant and interesting. However your website, serving as a showcase of these works is the opposite.

To me a portfolio, especially a personal one as opposed to a larger, more coperate affair should be focused entirely on the work. I would be inclined to remove the blogroll from such a dominant point on the page - you've given the user 5 excused to leave your website?!

I really dislike the tags section, I've only ever seen it implimented ona forum before and even there imo its useless - I really dont think you need to have them there especially as your portfolio is petite (not a bad thing). (if its there for seo reasons of which I have no clue, fair enough)

I'm almost inclined to say the left hand side of the page doesnt need to be there at all. Keep it simple and let your work do the talking - its good enough to command the page so remove the distractions.

I hope you take that the right way and best of luck!

Back