Exporting booklet PDFs from InDesign

Anagoge

Is there a way to export a document in booklet form (i.e. Spreads of 1-4, 2-3 etc) in InDesign without having to use the "Print Booklet" option? That option only allows me to print to PDF, which means I have to specify media size. I just want to be able to export a PDF in booklet/spread form.

Thanks Ally but that's wrong. Doing it that way only gives me 1-2, 3-4. As mentioned, I need the PDF in booklet format i.e. 1-4, 2-3.

If you want spreads to be exported like that, I think they would need to be set up as spreads like that in InDesign. So you can just drag the pages about by allowing the document pages to shuffle. Or is this still not what you want? lol

Sorry Ally, it's not really possible to manually drag pages about in a large document such as the one I'm designing. As mentioned, InDesign has the ability to print in booklet form but only print to media (albeit PDF), rather than a file.

Anyone else have any advice?

I don't think there is a way to be honest. You'd have to set up your document from the get go with proper pagination.

yeah... what you can do is send your pages as single page pdf's (with bleeds, etc) and bring them into a new document set to your pagination. it just makes it a bit easier. this pagination for print is something that adobe has still ignored... perhaps contact them/tutorial.

all the best

Anagoge said:
Thanks Ally but that's wrong. Doing it that way only gives me 1-2, 3-4. As mentioned, I need the PDF in booklet format i.e. 1-4, 2-3.

I feel your pain man. I had a look myself a while ago and found no simple way. I ended up working it all out manually. Luckily it was for my own stuff, so small in scale but even so. If you find a solution feel free to share man.

If you have deep pockets (e.g. $49.95 USD) there ARE now InDesign plug-ins that do everything that Print Booklet does and more -- except that they create a new InDesign document or PDF file instead of being a print system feature.

Back