Exclusivity in design and web work?

AaronPollock

Richard, in another thread, said this:

Try putting a subtle link at the bottom of your work like “web design by me” and link back to your site. This is also a good avenue of generating leads, but regularly brings up the moral question of working for one of your clients competitors.

I thought this was interesting. In my opinion, everything's negotiable. If a client engaged me to do some work and exclusivity was an issue, I'd expect some compensation for the loss of potential work. I certainly wouldn't offer this as a standard part of the service.

What do you do?

so you're not allowed to put anything saying "I made this" on their site?

you could put it in the header of the HTML that way you can prove it (in an extremely Geektastic way) and they can keep the exclusivity that they require.

Sorry, I'm causing confusion. My question is, "Do you feel morally dubious about working for competitors of your clients?"

I put credits on all my sites where possible.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it, but understand where you're coming from. If I had a good bond with a client and a good revenue stream came from them then I would certainly think twice and most probably not work for their competition, but other than that I see it all as fair game.

Not in a position to be picky yet!

Back