Eurostile... Naff or not?

• Yes, it's naff

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No, it's not

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

djb

I'm just mucking around with some logo ideas and I seem to have taken a fancy to one set in Eurostile. The thing is part of me thinks the font is really naff and part of me loves it.

What do you all think of it?

I like it. Although it very much depends on the application. I wouldn't want to see it associated with a wedding dress designer, but it would sit quite nicely for a builder for example.

/Doug

I don't like it personaly, it doesn't excite me much. That doesn't mean it's a poor typeface though. It might work well for a corporate client that wants a modernist feel with a little edge. I like expression and most coporate clients aren't very expressive (say an acounting firm, they prefer logic to emotion) so they like things like this but I'm not too sure about it, although I quite like the rounded square form it has.

I don't like it personaly, it doesn't excite me much. That doesn't mean it's a poor typeface though. It might work well for a corporate client that wants a modernist feel with a little edge. I like expression and most coporate clients aren't very expressive (say an acounting firm, they prefer logic to emotion) so they like things like this but I'm not too sure about it, although I quite like the rounded square form it has.

The company I provide consulting to the most uses it as their logo. Just their company name in Italic Red Eurostile.

I can't say I'm a massive fan.

However. Its better than Comic Sans.

- me

Not a big fan myself. But until this January EDF Energy used it as there corporate font. There are a big enough corporation. Not that I am saying they are a good judge.

Hmm, the votes are equal so I'll upload what I've done and see what you folks think. Go easy on me though, I've been swanning around the world for a year and am having a hard time getting back into this 'work' thing.

Attachments

• Logos2.jpg
    Logos2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
I actually quite like it to be honest.

Like everything it just depends on whether it works for the purpose or not.

I finished my first freelance logo a few weeks back, which was Eurostile. It worked with what I was doing. Still a lot to learn - I may look back in a few years time and wonder what I was thinking!!

But it worked and the client was happy.
If the client is happy, I'm happy.

That's the main thing right? :icon_smile:

I like also - eurostyle always seems for works best if all lowercase or all caps. Choose your favorite colourways and off you go.

Just to throw another idea into the mix, what about Squared Extended? Its almost identical to eurostile extended, just ever so slightly narrower. I find the kerning needs a bit less playing with too!

Your version of eurostile looks a bit squarer/squished, is that the standard version?
It's a clean looking font, I've just never taken to the squared areas of rounded letters, the lower case D and the O for example.

I didn't have the Squared Extended font so couldn't try it. The version I've used there is an Open Type version of Eurostile Extended 2.

Thanks for all your replies.

Back