Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eugenics design and BBC’s Golden Age of Glamour

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Feb 13, 2011.

1. berry

berry Active Member

Did anyone see a BBC's Golden Age last night? It introduced the concept of Streamlining and Eugenics. It was great programme giving a glimpse of the sublime style and glamour of the Art Deco. Incredible images and social connections from Busby Berkeley, fanciful flappers, Hitler Spitfires and luxury steamliners with fascinating social history insights.

Last night’s programme focused on architecture and design, and was enhanced by just the right number of talking heads, all of them making eloquent and pertinent contributions, which is not always the case. One of the heads even suggested that the notion of “streamlining”, an offshoot of Art Deco and increasingly evident through the 1930s in buildings, furniture, planes, trains and automobiles, was eventually applied to the human body itself. The theory went that the eugenics movement, founded in Britain but embraced most wholeheartedly in the United States, and essentially adopted as a creed by the Nazis, represented an attempt to streamline humanity. It was provocative stuff, connecting Busby Berkeley to Adolf Hitler. And apparently the perfect product of 1930s streamlining was the Spitfire, although by the time the Spitfire enjoyed its finest hour, Art Deco was discredited as a decadent, failing architecture.

The concept and introduction of Eugenics on a Saturday night in front of the TV with my glass of wine was both disturbing, interesting, thought provoking and idealistic. This immensely influential ideology is still with us today. In fact, some would argue that it is stronger today than ever. The eugenic ideology heavily influenced industrial design in the 30′s and introduced the relationship between the aesthetic design known as “streamlining”. It did however produced some beautiful design work from irons, cars, trains, building.

Great TV on a Saturday night ( for a change) If you missed it, catch up here BBC iPlayer - Glamour's Golden Age: The Luxe Experience

2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I'll have a look. ta for the link.

3. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

Hey Berry, Although I didnt watch the programme, I find eugenics from a scientific perspective fascinating, the prescribed notion that positive genetic's can be encouraged is very interesting although from a social point of view quite disturbing.

To elaborate further the thoughts that social control could be used in such a way to control the quality of the population has some serious moral and ethical issues, I suspect the method used to enforce such control would be the deal breaker!

for example, The Nazi's and the desire for an Aryan race wasn't a bad idea, they went about it in the most abhorrent way!

4. berry

berry Active Member

I totally agree, I was facinated at the principle and how it related and developed into modern design, but alarmed at how it could be extended into a social and moral society.
    I think the design principle is still relevant today - Audi cars is just one great example of it. But the principle of Streamlining is just as relevant in design and business today.

5. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

I'm sure Apple is perfect example of retaining the purity of their brand in every product they release along side the streamlining of the very best features they incorporate into the user experience and product.

6. berry

berry Active Member

Apart from my iPhone4 and it's zero reception capabilities!

7. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

hehe, just a blip :)