EU Cookie Law Compliance by 26th May 2012

I think we should be allowed to eat as many as we want!!

What's the main issues we should be concerned about as not even looked into this to be honest?

The main issue is Google Analytics for me. It is considered a non-essential cookie (i.e. it doesn't make the website function in the same way a cookie for a shopping cart might) and so express permission must be sought from the visitor before it is used. Which makes the whole thing rather pointless if you ask me! You can't rely on a Privacy Policy any more. I have just written to all of our customers to explain this and given them the choice of remove analytics or keep it and accept responsibility.

What have google said about it?

So adding the blurb to T&C's / Privacy Policy isn't enough? i.e We use google analytics and by using our website you agree etc..

What have google said about it?

Google have remained non-committal throughout the whole thing and have only offered generic advice. A 'fix' doesn't look likely before the 26th May compliance deadline.

So adding the blurb to T&C's / Privacy Policy isn't enough? i.e We use google analytics and by using our website you agree etc..

Nope, apparently not. The guidelines state that you should seek express permission rather than just implying it through Privacy Policy etc.

The IOC guidelines are pretty good; http://www.ico.gov.uk/news/latest_n.../guidance_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.ashx

Back