Essentially Essex Ltd: Slight logo change (just colours) and letters changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

we have a logo for our salon but we would like the colours changed and the name on the logo changed.

It is already designed and finished but we need these minor changes.

Can I have a quote please? Need the job done quickly for the printers.

Thanks all

Matt

Hiya - feel free to send over the logo you've got to me in a message and I'd be happy to give you a quick quote based on what you've got.

Cheers, Daniel.

Essentially Essex Ltd - Beware!!

Word of warning to all. This has been the worst client we have ever worked with. Non payer, job changed scope multiple times over the course of 3 days. The director of the company has had 3 previously failed start ups. Under no circumstances should any work be undertaken from this person. Name is Matt Holland and the company name is Essentially Essex Ltd. very sad to have spend 7+ hours design time on his brand with nothing to show for it. No doubt our designs will find there way into his final product. And no doubt our solicitors will find there way into his office. Shame.

Word of warning to all. This has been the worst client we have ever worked with. Non payer, job changed scope multiple times over the course of 3 days. The director of the company has had 3 previously failed start ups. Under no circumstances should any work be undertaken from this person. Name is Matt Holland and the company name is Essentially Essex Ltd. very sad to have spend 7+ hours design time on his brand with nothing to show for it. No doubt our designs will find there way into his final product. And no doubt our solicitors will find there way into his office. Shame.

No deposit or payment in advance before commencing the work?

Nope I took nothing up front, didn't have a contract etc. I know this is bad on my part but we have not had a problem with any of our 40+ clients so far. You live and learn I guess.

Yeah always have a contract and deposit, unfortunately there are people like this out there and we have recently had the same problem. Because the amounts of money owed are so small it is VERY difficult to get it back, even if you win in the small claims court it is very easy for them not to pay, as we have found out (twice!!).

I should sue you for that.

1, I signed no contract.

2, I did not agree in writing (or verbally) to pay for hours worked on the project.

3, I did not like the design or your rudeness - so I declined the design and parted ways with you.

I did not a single thing wrong. I just did not like your work.

I would never agree to pay for something I may not like or want. Also - as the customer I can make as many changes as I like about the logo of my company.

You became rude after I wanted another change on the logo and that is when I decided not to go ahead with your design.

Sorry if you felt upset by this. I think it may be your ego that was hurt.

^ I assume you directed a designer to go ahead on the basis of an acceptable quote being supplied for the simple job of tweaking colours/text within an already completed design (ref. your original brief at the top of the thread). It appears that the scope of the job/nature of the task was subsequently changed as your most recent post states that you 'did not like the design'. The absence of a proper contract (which would have prevented anyone from varying the terms without a new contract being drafted) is an issue here but there was clearly some agreement to engage the designer at a specified rate for an agreed task. The question I would ask, then, is this: did the designer change the colours and words as originally requested and - ideally - supply the artwork? If not, you're perfectly right to feel aggrieved at the negative feedback; if they did what you originally asked, however, but you subsequently changed the job to require a whole new design, the honourable thing to do would be to pay them what you originally agreed and take the new, bigger job elsewhere. As has been noted, a formal contract would have cleared all of this up but the absence of a contract doesn't necessarily mean that there's no agreement in place.

^ I assume you directed a designer to go ahead on the basis of an acceptable quote being supplied for the simple job of tweaking colours/text within an already completed design (ref. your original brief at the top of the thread). It appears that the scope of the job/nature of the task was subsequently changed as your most recent post states that you 'did not like the design'. The absence of a proper contract (which would have prevented anyone from varying the terms without a new contract being drafted) is an issue here but there was clearly some agreement to engage the designer at a specified rate for an agreed task. The question I would ask, then, is this: did the designer change the colours and words as originally requested and - ideally - supply the artwork? If not, you're perfectly right to feel aggrieved at the negative feedback; if they did what you originally asked, however, but you subsequently changed the job to require a whole new design, the honourable thing to do would be to pay them what you originally agreed and take the new, bigger job elsewhere. As has been noted, a formal contract would have cleared all of this up but the absence of a contract doesn't necessarily mean that there's no agreement in place.

I will do one quick reply.

Sorry but you can blame me all you like, but still:

1, you do not know the full story of email thread.

2, It is not my fault that he commenced work without getting something in writing to state what he wanted regarding payment.

I declined his logo because he was rude to me after I was not satisfied with the work. The same as I would not pay for a haircut if they shaved all my hair off instead of giving me the cut I wanted. The same as I would not pay a taxi driver if he took me to the wrong destination. - Regardless of the "time" these people had put into a job.

There would have been no point paying someone for something I did not want/was not happy with and could do nothing with.

Sorry but that is me, if I am paying someone to design me something, I would like to keep making changes until I am happy with it - it is my company brand after all.

I hope he has learnt from this experience and in the future he requests a deposit or a written agreement, and I also hope he has learnt to be more patient and not respond with rudeness - regardless of how many changes a customer wants.

You can see the type of person he is for slandering me like that. I also hope that other customers see what he has done and thought twice about working with him.

Oh and by the way, to answer the part about me changing the job on hand, I find this completely irrelevant. Why? Because if he was not happy with me wanting the logo to be re-designed.....he could have just said no.

I got my logo in the end, I did end up paying £150 for it, however the people I worked with did not respond with rudeness, and they changed it around until I was completely happy with it (as should all customers be when a final logo design is accepted, in fact it would be pointless and a waste of every ones time if the customer is not happy with it).

Good day all.

If you're parting on terms of rudeness then that's a different story - you can't refuse to pay a driver or a hairdresser because they are rude.

Nor is not liking the designs an excuse to not pay.

You pay for the time they consigned to the job regardless of whether you like the designs or you intend to use them or not.

It's 7 hours work - pay the person what they're owed and part terms.

Oh and by the way, to answer the part about me changing the job on hand, I find this completely irrelevant. Why? Because if he was not happy with me wanting the logo to be re-designed.....he could have just said no.

So did he do the job you originally asked for - the changing colours one - or not? That's what you asked for at the top of the thread, right?

Yipes bringing this up, wow had forgotten the whole ordeal.

Yep work was carried out. All your colours were changed we even provided you with the alternate design you requested. Then it came to making the logo adapt to a completely different name, sigh. I can if you want post the screenshots of your email saying things like.. And I quote 'amazing I love it' etc. Nevermind, listen after I was told designs were not correct after pretty much a full days work of you directing us to do things I did a little research on you and your endeavours, it cropped up that you had multiple start up business ventures that were no longer in business or trading. This drew me to the conclusion you were not worth the time or effort so I stated so. You never had any intention of paying regardless of who did the work. And as for telling me you were affiliated with the only way is Essex.... What was all that about. My legal team contacted the production company and they were slighty alarmed you had made such a claim.

Anyway I wish you luck in whatever it is you are doing now. Hopefully you find someone that you can work with amicably without any stress or confusion.

Chin up.

Last edited:
Follow up again with the TV production company, Jooty: this joker appears to have an interest in the laws pertaining to misrepresentation and I'm sure they'd be happy to provide him with a few pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back