Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Josella Caci, May 31, 2011.

1. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

First off, I'm a creative kid! not an academic kid! oh i'm also dyslexic which is a great start! (sarcasm)

The hideous annual time of the degree has once again come back to say hello. I have to write a 2,500 word essay! Don't know if any of you would be interested in this but thought i'd give it a shot!

I basically need to pick ONE of these chosen questions to answer;
    1. Explore the use of celebrity in the development of brand identities.
    2. Communicating the message: Consider the role of the Graphic Design in designing against crime.

(the other 2 questions made me feel like jumping off a bridge so I picked these as they seemed more interesting to write about)

"Think visual communications in a broad sense, select 4 examples to form a case study as a way of demonstration, include illustrations, references, quotes, refer to books & other resources"

Any thoughts? does the first one mean e.g. Kate Moss for Topshop, write about how she brands herself to promote/sell her brand??

oh i'm hoping someone mega brainy is reading this thread :D
  2. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

I would imagine the first one to mean something along the lines of the celebrity's role in advertising e.g. Thierry Henry for Gillette and so on and how they use them centrally in their television advertising, posters and so on?
  3. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

The first question seems like the easier option. My grasp of it would be like Dedwardp says - using celebrities in the promotion of your product. Another route you could explore is in the sports world of sponsoring athletes/ extreme sports types to wear and promote their product.

You don't have to search far for example.

2,500 is nothing ;) your dissertation (assuming you're doing one) is three times the word count!
  4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

If I had my reading list/bibliography from either of my dissertations, you could do the first one in a heart beat.
  5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

6. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

The first one seems to be the easier of the two.
    - Athletes are commonly used for advertising.
    - Keira Knightley has been Chanel's postergirl since 2006.
    - Adidas recently launched a campaign that featured half a dozen celebrities including Lionel Messi and Katy Perry.
    - You could look into celebrities releasing their own perfume (I hear Justin Bieber released one?), fashion or magazine.
    - What about celebs tweeting about brands or good causes?
  7. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

I know! I'm dreading my dissertation!
    I don't quite understand though why most of my marks will count on a writing piece rather than a creative piece that relates to my degree more-Graphic Design.
    I understand the benefit of making us do one or two small essays as we have to prove our knowledge, but allot of people moan and say they are 'a waste of time'. (I slightly disagree)

apologies if I'm being ignorant to this type of thing...
    But why should the writing essay be the main% mark of the whole degree and not the other way around? I Just want your views out of curiosity....hoping it will make me more motivated come my dissertation, If I understand the relevance it will be much more pleasurable to write.
  8. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

......and yes I will definitely be answering the 1st question. It does seem allot more easier.
    I actually was already thinking about Channel and Kiera Nightly.
    The athletes seems a good option too....i'll have to do some mooching on the web! Thanks Kevin!

A massive thankyou for them source links! I was after some good books :)
  9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Having read back over part of my dissertation I reckon I could knock out 2500 words on the first subject.

The first subject is based on the inherent value of a person, their relevance to a product and their target audience, its actually pretty interesting to deconstruct it slightly.

I find it really interesting, my favourite example being Andie MacDowell, despite only being a face in terms of celebrity during the 90's, she is still the face of L'oreal, because of their target audience! It's a barking!

Kevin mentioned Terry Henry, he is was part of the Renault campaign's because of his character and celebrity. Whether I like football or not, the man is effortlessly cool. So was well placed, the company wanted to appear classy, cool, they chose a famous person who embodies those characteristics. Subconscious reenforcement.

Jean Reno, is a famous french man, but the only product I can image him being used to endorse is sand paper!
  10. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Its ok, be warned, they aren't fluffy explanations. Its not the sort of thing to read when you are tired, or you will end up face down on a table in a library snoring. Not talking from personal experience....honest.
  11. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

Ha well its OK. the 2nd year has actually finished. but I have had an extension on all of my work to hand in august :)