Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing PHP Pages

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by solvaworld, Jul 22, 2010.

1. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

Hi All,

Im trying to add page titles to a webpage thats in PHP. I am opening the pages in note pad and changing them accordingly. However once the edited pages are uploaded the live page shows an invalid syntax error.

This is really odd because I am not changing the tags of the section in which the text is located. All I am doing is replacing the text with different text.

The text I have highlighted in red is the only area of the page I have changed with notepad. Hence my confusion?

Any ideas?

2. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander Senior Member

Doesn't it give you the line of the error?

3. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

textext

4. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander Senior Member

Well paste the first 20 lines or so of the file that gives the error.

5. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

see post below

6. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Is this not just you putting the html within the php?

Code:
    <meta name="keywords" content="Westcountry Fire Protection, Westcountry Fire Protection, West Country Fire Protection, Fire Prevention, Fire Protection, WFP, "><meta name="description" content="Westcountry Fire Protection's home page - we offer comprehensive products and services with friendly, professional and local advice.">

7. Harry

Harry Senior Member

PHP:
    <?php
    $this_page 
    "index";
    ?>

<meta name="keywords" content="Westcountry Fire Protection, Westcountry Fire Protection, West Country Fire Protection, Fire Prevention, Fire Protection, WFP, ">

<meta name="description" content="Westcountry Fire Protection's home page - we offer comprehensive products and services with friendly, professional and local advice.">

<?php
    $browser_title 
    "Westcountry Fire Protection > Sentri > Fire Alarms Exeter > Fire Alarms Newton Abbot ";
    ?>
    <meta name="keywords" content="Westcountry Fire Protection, Westcountry Fire Protection, West Country Fire Protection, Fire Prevention, Fire Protection, WFP, ">
    <meta name="description" content="Westcountry Fire Protection's home page - we offer comprehensive products and services with friendly, professional and local advice.">

<?php
    include("includes/header.php");
    include(
    "includes/database.php");

// Get latest News Stories

$news_sql "SELECT id, headline, extract, body, created, author, category, status, starts, expires, CASE WHEN starts != 0 THEN 'yes' ELSE 'no' END AS 'starts_flag', CASE WHEN expires != 0 THEN 'yes' ELSE 'no' END AS 'expires_flag' from syscon_news WHERE status = 'live' ORDER BY created DESC limit 0,4"
    $news_query mysql_query($news_sql$db_handle);

$length 120;

while(
    $news_record mysql_fetch_array($news_query)) { 

unset(
    $status);

if(
    $news_record['starts_flag'] == "no" && $news_record['expires_flag'] == "no") { 

$status "yes";            
        } elseif(
    $news_record['starts_flag'] == "yes" && date(U) > $news_record['starts']) { 

$status "yes";
        } elseif(
    $news_record['expires_flag'] == "yes" && date(U) < $news_record['expires']) { 

$status "yes";
        }

if(
    $status == "yes") { 

if(
    strlen($news_record['extract']) > $length) { 

$extract stripslashes(substr($news_record['extract'],0,$length)) . "...";
            } else { 

$extract stripslashes($news_record['extract']);
            }

$latest_news[] = array(

id => $news_record['id'],

headline => stripslashes($news_record['headline']),

extract => $extract,

body => stripslashes($news_record['body']),

created => $news_record['created'],

author => stripslashes($news_record['author']),

category => $news_record['category'],

status => $news_record['status'],

expires => $news_record['expires']
            );    
        }                
    }
    ?>

8. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

textetx

9. Harry

Harry Senior Member

PHP:
    $browser_title "Westcountry Fire Protection > Sentri > Fire Alarms Exeter > Fire Alarms Newton Abbot";

10. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

Hi Harry is that the code I should use?

11. Harry

Harry Senior Member

I dunno, but it's incorrect HTML, so it's definitely better than the previous haha.

12. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

13. Harry

Harry Senior Member

The difference is the appearance of special characters (>). Try making them entities ( > )

14. solvaworld

solvaworld Member

Thanks Harry Sorted

15. Harry

Harry Senior Member

No problem :)

16. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Are you sure that fixed your problem as that doesn't make sense if it did. :confused:
    First off granted all the ">" are bad HTML but they are in quote marks so will be treated as part of a string and not special characters in the PHP langauge so that shouldn't flag up any issues.

Secondly your error is for the "<" less than not the ">" greater than symbol and all the symbols that you changed to entities are greater than symbols not less than symbols so again I can't see how that fixed it.

A tad confused if that was the solution TBH. :)

17. Harry

Harry Senior Member

I had exactly the same thoughts Jaz, but that was the only anomaly I could spot in the whole script :S