Editable menu

Neon

Hi all, I need to cost up an editable menu for a client (they have a cafe). I am aware you can make editable PDFS using Indesign then Acrobat, would you say this is the best way to tackle it? Does the client need Acrobat to be able to edit it? Or shall I do a dreaded word version! Any advice appreciated!

Yes, I'd opt for an interactive PDF over a Word document. They can edit it using Adobe Reader.

Another way is to give them a print file for the menu that has blanks in the spaces they need to be filled.

They can print off the blank menus (or you can bulk print them for them).

They then have a Word Template that they can insert the prices/items into - and once they have this done they could print them on top of the printed/preprinted menus.

Ideally the only thing that would change is the price which would be in black.

Another way is to give them a print file for the menu that has blanks in the spaces they need to be filled.

They can print off the blank menus (or you can bulk print them for them).

They then have a Word Template that they can insert the prices/items into - and once they have this done they could print them on top of the printed/preprinted menus.

Ideally the only thing that would change is the price which would be in black.

That would be a pain for the average person, as the chances of everything lining up properly are slim, especially if they have several menus to print, the pages will no doubt shift.

Not necessarily. It does work. Genuinely I've printed 2000 copies of menus for people and setup a template they edit in word that they can then use their own office printer. It works great.

2000 menus is relatively cheap for most businesses and keeps them going for years.

Not necessarily. It does work. Genuinely I've printed 2000 copies of menus for people and setup a template they edit in word that they can then use their own office printer. It works great.

2000 menus is relatively cheap for most businesses and keeps them going for years.

Yeah but you work in the print industry and know what you're doing. It would be trial and error and probably a lot of wasted pre-printed menus for the average Joe Bloggs.

I think the editable PDF file would work best, just advise using Adobe Acrobat as some companies may use other PDF readers

I agree, although I have used other 'non-Adobe' PDF readers in the past and they have also worked fine and were editable. But yeah, to be on the safe side, it is best to stick with the free Adobe reader that most computers probably already have installed at some point.

Don't really want to argue about this. But printed shells are a viable and useful way of doing this.

Editable PDF works too. But cost of full colour print for menus is a waste too.

Back