Edible Printing

CMWade

Hi,

I'm looking into edible printing for use within a magazine I'm putting together for a uni project. I've found that i can buy the edible rice paper and edible inks to use but I'm unsure if these inks will work in your normal day to day printer?

If not then is there any service available where I can send off what I want to be printed, pay for it and pick up and then use as I intend to?

Thanks,
C.

It likely wouldn't work with your own printer, I wouldn't recommend this if it's been used anyways due to contamination, but it does appear that you can get a 'domestic' printer (based on cli-551 cartridge it's a canon brand) that can use edible ink (link or link). It's not cheap though.

There are loads of edible paper printing companies on google which might work out cheaper though

How much print do you need doing? if its just a few sheets, try getting in touch with a few cake bakers. They often have edible printing equipment but I dont think its particularly cheap (I have a friend who prints on to icing and charges £10 per sheet).

A student on my course created something that involved using edible ink and rice paper. If I recall she produced it herself somehow, though ironically it wasn't particularly edible afterwards (I suspect she used edible ink in her regular printer). I'd +1 the baker option and get something people are actually going to want to eat.

I have an Canon Pixma TS5020 https://cookingtimejournal.com/best-edible-ink-printers#3_Canon_Pixma_TS5020_Best_All_Around_Printer, I believe, and the print quality is fine, but I find that it has a hard time feeding both wafer paper and frosting sheets, so it jams A LOT, or doesn't feed at all sometimes. Soooo frustrating.

>> I'm looking into edible printing for use within a magazine I'm putting together for a uni project. I've found that i can buy the edible rice paper and edible inks to use but I'm unsure if these inks will work in your normal day to day printer?

You can use most any inkjet printer as long as it hasn't been used before with inedible inks and you buy the right set of food coloring cartridges to fit it. Kopykake has a handy printer-cartridge matching chart here: http://www.kopykake.com/docume...PrinterInks-Xref.pdf

Sorry for bumping, I did not pay attention to the date...

Back