eBooks How Much & How Long?

S

Squiddy

Does anyone have any experience in making and publishing an eBook? What is your workflow? How much do you charge, or have you ever paid someone else to do one for you?
Anyone? Anything? :D

not actually produced ebooks but read/seen enough of them...
Normally they look like they've been treated like a normal book then saved as pdf for conversion to required ebook format or left as a locked pdf.
Only time it's different is if you have one of these fancy ones with video links etc

Hmm, it's all a little confusing and there doesn't seem to be very much documentation on anything. The main thing I'm worried about is device compatibility. I'm struggling to find any information on the process to make an ebook work with apple/amazon/windows, on different devices with different resolutions and screen sizes..

Squiddy said:
to make an ebook work with apple/amazon/windows,
theres your problem... they don't....
apple has their ibook format, amazon has their kindle format and I think windows has their own too (they do support pdf in the win 8 'reader' app)... I'm pretty sure google has their own format too but they do support some others....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats - as you can see just a few options....but epub is the most widely supported, except by amazon lol

Yeah I know about the different platforms, I'm just wondering if it's acceptable to run everything through Calibre to output files suitable for each platform? Is that how it's done, generally speaking? Any idea how much you'd charge to make an ebook for a client?

like I say never done it but if I was I'd charge however much it would cost to do the pdf format book (ie print ready stages) plus a bit on top for the time taken to convert to the desired formats....

Actually i wanna to download it for free. But last moment i have seen would be pay for that. So i couldn't download thats. But never wanna to publish into E-book.

I guess to keep up with technology we will eventually need to keep up with this field anyway :)
It would be very fun to make an ebook in my opinion...

I think it'd be quite fun to make an eBook. Screen readers and things aren't exactly going away. Their numbers are just growing!

Back