Early Influences

Jimlad

Me and Typo were chatting in the pub tonight, and we talked about some of our early influences as young 'uns. For example, Typo was right into the Beano style of cartooning which shows very strongly in his work in my opinion, and I used to try and learn from Saturday morning cartoons (Disney and Warner Bros) and Marvel comics, possibly influenced a little later on by Manga, which might explain my (in many ways similar to Typo) cartoony style of cheeky and occasionally weird characters.

Who feels like sharing their early artistic influences?

great topic Jim. Well my early influence was Monet, I only started out with art, illustration had never really crossed my mind at that stage so I grew up with a fine art style. I never really liked imperfections so everything would have to be as photo like as possible. Once I got into illustration it really took me back to childhood with my old marvel comics, I think my love of fine art may well of came from the realistic cartoon style used in comics like Marvel and so when I saw the graphic novel Battle Royal recently I fell in love with the style, realistic with a hint of manga was excellent.

Wizzer n Chips, Cor!, Battle/Warlord, Beano, Dandy, Commando, Plug, Buster, Shiver n Shake comics.
Norman Rockwell, Ron Cobb...Philip Castle...Roger Dean....sci fi art, blue prints, concept work, that sort of thing. Not realy into Manga or super hero comic books although I like them have have a grand collection. I do love the Britishness of the traditional comic like Beano or Cheeky Weekly.
Or the down right smut and balls of Viz.

Pip pip!

As a kid I would sit for hours drawing Moon base Alpha Eagle transporters, X-Wings, Spitfire and Me109s.

Still do.

Yup, well, you've always been fascinated with the aesthetics of combat equipment.

Diane Kruger, Stefan Sagmeister, Vince Frost, Vaughan Oliver.

Abram Games. Andreas Deja. Bill Watterson.

These people made sh*t look good

aibrean said:
I used to draw 7up Spot ads all the time in elementary school.

That's what I'm talking about! I used to try and draw Scrooge McDuck while Ducktails was on, lol.

I was really influenced by manga =) Used to watch shows like Beyblade and try and draw the characters xD

Makes me feel old. Manga in the US really didn't hit until the 90s. I didn't get exposed until college.

Back