Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Animation, Motion Design & Film Making' started by scotty, Dec 12, 2015.

1. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Okay. I'm making a short animation and part of it is a van from the side driving across a desert.
    I want to make a dust cloud emanating from the wheels, kind of made from circles growing to form a cloud.
    Thing is, I want the separate circles to form a single mass so that I can treat them with a transparency gradient and still keep the individual movement (almost like a moving silhouette).
    I've figured I need to make a pre-comp and mask out the bottom where it meets the ground.

Any ideas how I could do this?
  2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

BTW. I'm using After Effects.
  3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Maybe look into using particles....I would guess after effects can do the same. That's how I'd do it with my 3D programs anyway.
    scotty likes this.
  4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Ahh. I get you Levi.
    Yep it does.

I could set the emitter near the wheels and adjust the direction and life of the particles.

Never used the particle emitter before so should be fun. :)
  5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Managed to sort it but opted to make a blob and run a couple of wave form effects on it.
    Looked pretty effective and organic. :D