DSLR Choice

catt231

I'm trying to decide between a Nikon D90 or D5000, Canon 500D or 450D or a Pentax K20D...

Is a D90 worth £200-300 more?
The Pentax has IS... which means cheaper lenses?
The 5000D has a swivel screen which would be handy
I've read that the 450D is actually better than the 500D

I'm confused... any opinions to help a gal out?

THANKS!

One of my best friends is a Photojournalist and he highly recommends the Canon 450D. And If you want cheap lenses you can always get a Sigma lens for it. My Girlfriend has the 450D as well and absolutely loves it.

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ7 just now with some 55mm filters and that's about it :)

It's so odd a few people have said stay away from the pentax but it got really good reviews Owners Opinions: Pentax K20D: Digital Photography Review

I had been looking at a Nikon 50mm G lens that would be good for low light/gigs and I've always fancied a Nikon - that's what they got in CSI lol

I think I may slowly be talking myself into the Nikon, I do like the 450D too though and my mate has one - which means I could share lenses...

I'd like to roll them all into one - that'd be nice :)

catt231 said:
I had been looking at a Nikon 50mm G lens that would be good for low light/gigs and I've always fancied a Nikon - that's what they got in CSI lol

I think I may slowly be talking myself into the Nikon, I do like the 450D too though and my mate has one - which means I could share lenses...

I'd like to roll them all into one - that'd be nice :)
As you have no real existing kit for the dslr .....

To be honest you won't go wrong with either a canon or a nikon (or a sony for that matter). I personally prefer nikon but that stems from my 35mm days but I'm sure alot of people will say go to a shop and put them in your hand with a lens and see which you prefer the feel of, its very subjective.

I personally think the d90 (its predecessor the d80 is still a good camera by the way) is worth the extra especially if you are going to use a mixture of older lenses and the new lenses with built in motors. The d5000 does not have the motor built in the body so you would be restricted to manual focus etc with it.
The overall speed of the d90 is also better than that of the d5000, it will maintain its 3fps even with focus, where as the d5000 (working from specs here) doesn't appear to be able to. The d90 has the option of a vertical grip which the d5000 doesn't and if you are doing a lot of portrait orientated shots this can make a huge difference

i'd go with the D90, I brought a D80 a couple of years ago and I can't fault it... with the ability to shoot HD video the D90 is gonna be even better. Just my 2 cents.

I paid $1400 from the states for my D80 when it was roughly $2-£1 so I reckon I got a good deal, I also got a 18-135 lens and bag for that price.

I use a D80 in work and I have Canon 40D myself.

I agree with Levi, you can’t really go wrong with either the D90 or the 450D. Both will produce great results.

Getting a feel for both cameras is a good idea depending on its intended use. I shoot a lot of mountain bike races, skateboarding etc so weight, balance and comfort is very important as I don’t use a tripod that often.

I personally prefer and would recommend Canon. I find the layout of the controls, menu navigation etc much easier to access and use quickly. I guess this is just personal preference and I’m only basing my opinion on the two cameras I have used.

I know plenty of people with both canon and nikon, I'd say as you don't have alot of equipment for DLSR, set yourself a budget and then see who can sell you the most within your budget.

I think the choice is between Nikon and Canon. Has you say you don't have much kit - ie lens - I would ask around and see what others have - ie opportunity to borrow their kit / lens etc.

For entry level and for the video capabilities I'd go for the D90 - then again I'm a Nikon user ;-)

Back