Dropping clients

Julian KNott

Hello all

There is one client who I really hate working with. He demands stuff and when I try and negotiate the terms feels its an affront that I do.

Recent example: He offer £40 p/h for me to be at his "beck and call" (his words not mine) for a powerpoint project which will require an urgent turnaround. I wrote back saying this was fine but if he requires me to working in the evenings or pass midnight then the charges will have to increase to £45/£60 p/h respectively. He is very patronising and have always butted heads with him over the years I have known him. I have always been accomodating (one project he hasnt come back to me in four months - small project but I have just remained patient and professional).

I have good working relationships with all my clients except this one. His email said I was “Given an inch and took a mile”. I only wanted to provide some realistic parameters.

I think I will drop him as a client. Am I being unreasonable?

If you feel you can afford to loose him as a client, then do so.

Alternatively tell him your rates have doubled, and that you'll fully understand if he can't afford you any more. Then if he says no, you've got rid of him, if he says yes, then the extra money may make it worth your time and effort.

Hi Julian,

It doesn't sound like your being unreasonable from what you've said, does the client take up a lot of your time as a result of these actions? As Matt says, if you can afford to lose him, and it will make your work more enjoyable and result in having good working relationships with all of your clients, then it sounds like a good idea.

HTH
Greg

PS -It could well be a case of the 80/20 rule... the theory is that 20% of your income will come from clients who take up 80% of your time, and 80% of your income will come from clients who take 20% of your time, once you know who's who you can start focusing on the right clients.

I can afford to lose him as in the past couple of years no work has come from him. Indeed one project (simple leaflet) has not had any feedback from him in four months, so I have been unable to finish the project and invoice him for the work done. Am not fussed if I don't as its a small job.

It would make my life happier without him as a client as he really pushes the wrong buttons and he always seems to be suggesting he is doing me a favour. Probably the worst sort of client.

Now I need to compile a suitable letter to him.

Sounds like you're making the right decision Julian, can you just not be un-available for his next few project enquiries? I would think he would get the message and approach someone else if you're always fully booked up with other projects...

Yea I think that's a good idea. Will be 'snowed under' just for his enquiries. Thanks for the feedback back people, always appreciated.

As Greg says, just tell him you're too busy. No need for a letter, then you don't burn that bridge entirely.

Oh I hate clients who think they're doing you a favor.. "I know how much you enjoy doing this".. NO. No, no.

I can see a 'Horrible Client Tales' thread coming soon..

I know in my limited experience I could already add to it!

Back