DROA SCAM!! anyone know what to do??

bentzak

2 things, its worht pointing this scam out so none of you or your clients fall for it.

here is a link saying about how the scam works,

Domain Registry of America DROA renewal scam - AWH Forums

apparently its been going for years, and still going!!!

here is what happened to my client whos website im redesigning,

droa.com sent her a letter (post!!) saying she needed to renew her domain, she sent them a cheque for £60!! (i know), and they sent her an email saying to unlock her domain so it can be transferred to droa.com, from tucow.com, she is on fasthosts.com, niether of the other two. i told her she had been scammed and to try her best to stop the cheque going through and report it to the relevant authourities.

my question is, after reading alot of bad reviews about fasthosts i was going to transfer the domain anyway, but if i unlock it to get the stuff to do that will it go automatically to droa.com??

any help?

Cheers,

Zak

bentzak said:
my question is, after reading alot of bad reviews about fasthosts i was going to transfer the domain anyway, but if i unlock it to get the stuff to do that will it go automatically to droa.com??

I would think you would still need to request the transfer with the new company, although not 100%, and as they clearly have some bad practices I personally wouldn't risk it. Why don't you stick with Fasthosts for the domain, I'd imagine a lot of the bad reviews are for their hosting, as long as the domain registration is showing correctly at Nominet.org.uk there's not too much they can mess up on.

thats a good call i think, cheers greg. i did just want it all in one place tho so i could keep it all a bit better organised! ah well, not to worry, better to be safe than sorry i guess! what about if she gets her money back? surly there not gonna transfer without being payed are they? i dunno, but i thought i would share incase any other unsuspecting peeps get a letter!

and for anyone reading this who has got cauht out by it, heres what to do,

ECC: Trading Standards Institute

Cheers,

Zak

Back