Dreamweaver quits on importing rollover images . . .

Hippychick

My Dreamweaver (CS6) is refusing to do rollovers now and quits as soon as I ask it to import second image.

I thought it might be a simple issue with the jpeg so saved another with different name, then tried with completely different images.

I was lucky to still have a CS5 version on laptop, so did it from there – but interestingly, on another test in just changing the page title in CS6, it rendered the edited the file (edited in CS5) a non rollover image, so had to go back again and edit title in CS5.

Maybe CS6 is programmed to disallow rollovers after a certain number have been created because they are a bit naff now(?!) but are still perfect to demonstrate retouched images . . . and it may be a simple glitch and re-install, but I always want to know why first.

Anyone?

Ta!

I don’t know what could be causing the problem, but Dreamweaver doesn’t create rollovers in a very efficient way.

I suggest using image sprites as it makes less server requests.

If you want to show a before and after, like a retouched image, you could use something like this.

Do you need to use an image at all? Can you not use pure HTML/CSS for what you need? Dreamweaver is a bit of a relic from the 90s and is not the most efficient way to code a site. In fact you're nearly always better hand-writing HTML/CSS than using any tool that outputs a finished site.

Thanks for that!

Trouble is, despite having always found Dreamweaver to be clunky and unreliable, I’m a pixel pusher rather than a coder . . . have built many sites but mainly imagery based as that’s what I do.

Will look into sprites, but for ‘before and after’ . . . I can’t beat rollovers: http://www.flying-colours.me.uk/projectslashes.html

. . . I am just very lucky this happened after finishing months of work and am just tweaking pages now.

are you using the built in 'javascript' rollovers for that flying-colours site.... you can do that before/after with hover in css, it's really easy too... even I managed it lol. Depending on how it's done you can even have fading between images too.

I always meant to start using CSS, but as my pages are so imagery based, am simply using like InDesign in layout mode! Fading between images would possibly look like gilding the lily when all I want is an online portfolio with a bit of my personality thrown in rather than being too 'showy'.

since when has a fade been showy....it's just a nicer transition than jumping from a to b lol. Now if it was some of the twirls, twists and other changes you can do with css I'd agree but a simple fade isn't anything major.

Okay, maybe a bad choice of word, but I meant I don't want to tip the balance and perhaps come across as trying too hard or trying to be too clever, and as I'm not savvy in that department anyway, just want to showcase what I AM good at (the images) without anything competing with it or distracting from it, if that explains it better?

Rollovers work perfectly for retouched images as are straight to the point and instant, but I also have original and retouched images alongside one another for comparison so people don't even need to sweep cursor over!

Have you considered one of those 'slider' reveals so they move a slider across one image and it shows the other underneath it?

I suspect again that wouldn't be instant, meaning it would s_l_i_d_e – and I have a lot of images to browse! I will look into that too for future option, but in meantime I am just using CS5 version of software to do the handful of rollovers remaining that the CS6 version refuses to, but ta for suggestions.

Back