Down With DA Font!

Russell

Right I have a bit of a hatred for DaFont, don't know exactly where it's come from but think this is mainly due to the acres of crap you have to sift through to find anything anywhere near decent. Also I think the day (and I mean literally a day) spent removing all the endless crappy fonts I'd misguidedly downloaded over the years from the site and others similar.

If DaFont is your first port of call when you need a new typeface hang your head in shame! Right rant over, I know we all like a freebie and often can't afford to fork out for fonts but in order to try and redress the balance here's a few links to some free, if not very cheap typeface sites with quality output.

HVD Fonts
SMeltery - Free
Free | Fontfabric?
HMF.com
Anyone For Pong? HypeForType™ Online Digital Type Foundry (Not live yet but keep them peeled)
Identikal.com
misprinted type 4.0_art, design and type (1998-2009) Eduardo Recife
YouWorkForThem
Font Squirrel | Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses.

A fine list of freebie fonts there, i will agree that dafont is usually shit. But you have to remember you do get the odd nugget of gold in there. I suppose its just the large amount of people who are happy with any old crap.

I've not downloaded any new fonts in about a year or so... I have a DVD full of fonts from one of the places I worked :) kept them ever since :D

T26 all the way for me - not free, not cheap but the site design is just lovely and there's some really contemporary fonts there.

DaFont is hit and miss and there is alot of crap on there like you say Russell, Font Squirrel is my current favourite there are a few fonts on there that they should really charge for!

I've found some lovely fonts on DA, its just having the time to look through all the crap.

These fonts aren't all particularly useful for your everyday work but there are some really nice fonts and the site has an easy and efficient way of browsing through them, check it out!

Sudtipos | Fonts

Back