Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug

Dave1975

Finally got my copy of 'Don't Make Me Think' a few weeks back, and given all the great reviews its received I was expecting a lot from this book! I'm pleased to say its delivered on my expectations.

With the first edition selling more than 100,000 copies, I feel ever so slightly embarrassed that it's taken me this long to get my hands on a copy! I really like Steve's approach to the subject which carries very clear and concise methods on improving web usability, a subject that at first thought sounds like it could be a bit repetitive through a 200 page book, remains entertaining and interesting to read cover-to-cover.

There's some great examples of simple things to put in practice with website screenshots, which helps to show how the theory can be applied.

If you haven't already got a copy of the First Edition of 'Don't Make Me Think' I'd highly recommend picking up the Second Edition (which includes 3 new chapters)... 'Don't Make Me Think' at Amazon.co.uk

If you already own the book what did you think of it?

Thanks,
Greg

I must admit I totally hated it.

Although there are some really good points in there I can't help but this the site is aimed at a certain type of site, mostly e-commerce.

I find it difficult to apply a lot of the information to anything other than the examples given.

But thats just my 2cents.

I think don't make me think triggered a reaction to how not to build sites. Something that i already knew but just never pinpointed.

If someone wants to pay me to test websites and pick out bad points I can - good on steve crug making thousands out of highlighting mistakes I wish I were him!

I think it was the first useability book I bought TBH.

IMO it is a pretty good book, it is way too short in comparison to others, not as intensive as it could be but does give you a good grounding in the basics, I think I read it three times TBH.

Back