Domestic Waste Disposal - Your experiences

Richard Lowe

Hello,

I am currently investigating the issues surrounding 'Domestic Waste Disposal', looking at Bins in particular. I hope to gain some input on your own experiences with this.

Currently I have the issue of Bin Liners splitting upon emptying. This occurs more often than not when lifting the liner out of the top of the larger Bins or when carrying the full Liner to a Wheelie Bin, which usually leads to some form of content leakage. A lot of designs i see require the lifting of the liner from the top, and I am exploring potential issues with both the method used for lifting (which may be difficult for some users due to weight) and the design of the Bin.

I am aware of some of the common 'make-do' solutions such as 'doubling up' the liners but I am looking to come up with a more steadfast solution which might look at an enhanced design of Bin. Alongside I will be paying attention to Hygiene also, ensuring the solution can be easily cleaned. Primarily though I want to establish the contributing factors to these failures.

What are your own experiences with Bins/Waste Disposal solutions? Are you satisfied with current solutions on the market? What failures do you experience (if at all) ? How user friendly is your current disposal method?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

We have one of those Ikea back of the door bins due to space in out kitchen.
Pro's:
Old carrier bags fit it.
It's convenient.

Con's:
They're a bit shit and break often.

Can you be more specific in the areas you are looking into, this sounds very much like an open brief for a a-level/uni course which doesn't really cater for the rules that individual counties/council regions actually apply to their bins etc. What 'county' or even local council region you're in can make a huge difference to this question.

For reference, we have 3-4 bins, food waste, recycle waste (which ironically doesn't include all recyclable items), general waste, garden waste and then there's the items which can't go in a bin and we have to take them to local 'Household Recycling Centre and Recyling Point'. There's also rules about what can go in each of these bins, including the 'bags' that are used etc.

My solution to bin bags/liners tearing is not to use them! I buy garden waste bags instead for my rubbish; x100 stronger and bigger!

We talking about inside or outside bins?
I'm not that interested about outside bins but I do have a real passion for inside ones.
("Innies" as us enthusiasts call them).

I actually hate wheelie bins.
I have to stoop a bit when I take them out being 6'4" and I'm always catching by heal on them.
Once emptied they have a life of their own and when you move them they always tip over.

On my kids 5th birthday I was doing "the wheelie bin dance" squashing the wrapping paper down and I fell off breaking my wrist, three ribs, gashed my shin and got a concussion.
I was taken away in an ambulance at cake cutting time. o_O

Wheelie bins are my nemesis and I will not rest until they are all either destroyed or replaced with a more practical and safe alternative.

Can you be more specific in the areas you are looking into, this sounds very much like an open brief for a a-level/uni course which doesn't really cater for the rules that individual counties/council regions actually apply to their bins etc. What 'county' or even local council region you're in can make a huge difference to this question..

Indeed Levi,
I am aware that regions can have very different 'waste separation' schemes. In the first instance I am targeting my questions concerning people's general waste disposal methods such as a large bin you might find in a kitchen for example. I have considered that it may be possible to separate the waste types within a single bin with divided compartments. However, since this thread is forming part of my preliminary research, I thought it unsuitable just yet to ask questions which may be specific to my local region (Telford & Wrekin, UK) when members are widespread. This may form the basis of later conversation however but at the moment I am aiming to collect research on people's 'struggles' with current bin designs and then looking at how the design can be adapted to cater for national or even regional schemes.

The bottom line is that I am looking to bring about a solution to eradicate/minimise the issues involved with current bin designs. e.g. Bin Liner Splitting, Full Bin Liners being too heavy to lift (for people like the old aged for example), difficult placement in a Kitchen/store room environment. Any issues associated with internally-used bin designs that I could explore would be gratefully received and hence I am leaving the brief fairly open at the moment. I will refine it as I identify which issues are most prominent. I hope that clears up things a little.

We talking about inside or outside bins?
I'm not that interested about outside bins but I do have a real passion for inside ones.
("Innies" as us enthusiasts call them).
Thank you Scotty for some interesting feedback...who knew you could make me smile with stories surrounding bins :LOL:
I am researching the 'Innies'. Its interesting you should mention the Wheelie Bin struggles, this may be able to form part of my evaluation where 'further' functionality may be concerned. Again, I am just curious about the inside bins at the moment, like the 'pedal' bins you might find in a kitchen. However, any bin-related problems anyone experiences would be kindly received. It all makes good content and serves as good inspiration for the design stage!

Thanks all again for your prompt feedback.
Richard

Hi there,

Well, we have a very systematic system for waste disposal here. In our area, we neighbours of 4 houses rent a disposal bin rentals from Red Bins for a week. We all dump our waste in it every night and at the end of the week they come and collect it and replace a new bin. And they don’t have this issue of splitting upon emptying, it’s all done very neatly without loitering the place. Since we all are sharing it, the cost is also not that high and we don’t have to deal the waste menace everyday. It’s so easy and we don’t have to worry even if there is a party or get together at home. If there is , then we ask them to a larger bin because there will be more waste. We just don’t have to worry at all about this and they are very user friendly too. These waste disposal bins are really useful I feel. Maybe you could try out something like this in your area too!!

Hi there,

Well, we have a very systematic system for waste disposal here. In our area, we neighbours of 4 houses rent a disposal bin rentals from Red Bins for a week. We all dump our waste in it every night and at the end of the week they come and collect it and replace a new bin. And they don’t have this issue of splitting upon emptying, it’s all done very neatly without loitering the place. Since we all are sharing it, the cost is also not that high and we don’t have to deal the waste menace everyday. It’s so easy and we don’t have to worry even if there is a party or get together at home. If there is , then we ask them to a larger bin because there will be more waste. We just don’t have to worry at all about this and they are very user friendly too. These waste disposal bins are really useful I feel. Maybe you could try out something like this in your area too!!

Hi,
That sounds like an interesting mechanism. I can see peoples' different methods of waste disposal vary greatly depending on location. If you share a (large i presume) bin amongst 4 houses, I assume you have a smaller bin inside the house which stores the waste before it needs to be collected. Is that correct? If so, do you use bin-bags or does it resemble a bucket in that you just 'tip out' the contents? Do you have any issues in regards to the way you empty this bin into the larger one?

Many thanks for your reply.

Back