Domain Renewal Group

Kevin

Well I got a letter today from the Domain Renewal Group. And the name sounded familiar, and I recalled reading an article about internet fraud. Other than the name, my host (One.com Web hosting  -  Domain • Hosting • E-mail  ) was nowhere to be spotted on the letter, I had just recently received an invoice through email from them, and last but not least, the price didn't match up.

So just a quick reminder, ignore any letters from the Domain Renewal Group, just Google them if you'd like. ;)

Yeah I got one too.

They carefully word it to make it sound like the only option available, am sure it somehow breaks the law...?

tim said:
Yeah I got one too.

They carefully word it to make it sound like the only option available, am sure it somehow breaks the law...?
Note really as the WHOIS is publicly available information.

There are several companies around running this scam and I always tell my customers if it ain't from us, use it to line the hamsters cage ;)

openmind said:
Not really as the WHOIS is publicly available information.

There are several companies around running this scam

Yep I've even had phone calls along the same lines as the scam letters, I guess it's just like when car insurance companies get your details and call you at the time of renewal, except that information isn't public! :p

It's really a bad practice, the company I work for usually receive lot of mails/phone calls from local companies suggesting us to renew the domain or it will be in hand of cybersquaters. It's really annoying.

Back