Domain Names?

scotty

Ultimate Member
Not sure if I've asked this as I've slept a few times and I may have dreamt it but......

I want to buy a domain name and I'm unsure who from.

If I buy a .com do I have to use the same company as a host?

Sorry for sounding naive but I am naive.

Oh, and would you recommend snapping up the .co.uk as well?

you can buy just a domain from someone like names.co.uk

.com... same host, not sure what you mean with this. I'll guess you want to know this: you can host .com and .co.uk at different hosts, they're basically different addresses. If you want to have the same site on both addresses then you would use one host and then use redirects etc to link both to the same host/domain name.

personally if you can get the .com and the .co.uk (and .uk) I would, then you would use a canonical link in your html and redirects at the host to point .com to say .co.uk (better for location based UK services)

Any other questions ask away as I can answer a lot of these questions as I've done most of this lol

Cheers Levi! :D

What I was trying to say is do you have to have the hosting with the company that you purchase the name from?

I was thinking of buying them both (.com+.co.uk) and have the .co.uk point toward the .com (if you get my drift) or the other way around.

I'm sure I will have some Q's for you as I'm a bit of a caveman with the tech side of the web as it's not really something I've ever had to deal with.

Get ready for some "face, palm" moments. ;)

hosting can be dealt with separate, you can even point to a 'folder' on an existing site if set up right (can't remember how exactly off the top of my head though). Your existing web host may already support multiple domain/websites, mine does.

In essence a domain name is just used to direct the browser to the server holding your site.

As to face palm moments... just imagine me asking about illustration, I have no clue about that, so I doubt you'll come out too badly lol

To reiterate what Levi said; domains don’t need to be bought with the same company you host with. In fact, many people chose not to do so as a sort of ‘eggs in one basket’ strategy, which I don’t really get. Using your domain control panel, you can point the name servers to wherever you want.

Whatever you do, don’t get hosting with names.co.uk and while I’m at it, 1&1 and GoDaddy are also big no no’s. Find a respectable host in the UK.

Yeah based on that link LCS looks like it's a cracking little deal if you don't want to use imap for your email (I do :()
£30 a year all in (includes 1 domain - another would likely be £10 I would guess) with no limits on hosting/bandwidth is arguably too good to be true lol

If you're already a member of the 'hire an illustrator' you can get the hosting for free....

I don't know what "imap" is and in my experience, "if I don't know what it is , I don't need it".
(not correct when it comes to pressure washers)

LCS have been awesome to use for hosting. On the ball with any problems and help, fixed mistakes that I'd made and even set my WP up for me.

I'll shut up before I sound like a salesman.

LCS it is then!

IMAP - basically your emails are stored on the server not on your computer like pop3 email. Basically it acts like a central email host so your email is kept up to date on mobile, tablet and pc's without any extra tools... or you could say it's a bit like using webmail but it's accessed via an email program like outlook.

I've had no trouble with 123reg. Got my URL and an email box with them, and the URL points to my squarespace site (because I bought that and chose a free URL I no-longer wish to use... gah!)

Back