Doing a FREE trial... dilema!

davewill

Hi guys, some of you will know Ive recently set up a facebook group in an effort to get more freelance work. I contacted local businessman who runs quite a few bars and event nights to see if he needed anything doing, and he has now contacted me to say he loves my work, but he wants me to do him a business card as a trial.

Now it might just be me being harsh, but if he has seen my work and he likes it, why should I have to do a freebie as a trial?! I havent emailed back yet as Im unsure what to do. I could do with the cash, and it might lead to much more work as he has a lot of new initiatives in the pipe line, but what do people think? Would you do the freebie in the hope it would turn into real work, or would you tell them where to go?!!
________
Class action lawsuit

i've done freebies in the past and regretted every one of them personally.. I never do freebies now.

Just my opinion... other freelancers might say otherwise :)

well i kind of agree with you, im wary of the fact he is just getting a free business card out of me that he can then go get printed! Im trying to carefully word an email that basically says something along the lines of "i dont do work for free, but ill quote you for it" but still keep his interest!
________
ONE VAPORIZER

By all means try doing a discounted job for him :) that might keep his interest. The line "Might be more work in the future" is one that should always be taken with a massive sack of salt.

He could be genuine, but then again he could just go from freelancer to freelancer getting "trials" done to get all his design work for free :(

it's a personal decision. when i did free work it just meant more and more work. i did a website about 18 months ago and it took him a year to finish edits because he basically forced me to.

then again, because of him my contact details have been put in a book, about 800 of which have been distributed worldwide!

free may mean more money or more pain.

or both.

Your right Renniks, Ive never understood why people seem to think designers should do free work when no other industry does that!
As an update, Ive just emailed the guy back saying Id be happy to do him a set of business cards at a discounted price, as an introductory offer, but if he wants to see the quality of my work, and my style for free, then check out my portfolio. i think thats a fair enough response!
________
Herbal Vaporizers

I'm glad you did that Dave :) lets hope he see's sense :)

I have done free work and it can be a nightmare. Instead of freebies, I do exchanges. I'm designing a myspace for an illustrator, he is designing me a tshirt.

It's always a risk with strangers, if you are really stressing about it, hammer it out, make it clean but cool. Make sure it doesn't take you an eternity.

You know the pros and cons, could mean work, but he could bolt....

Good luck!

yeh thanks for that mrp, he hasnt emailed me back yet so im still waiting to find out. i hate the fact people expect free work, ive advised that he check out my portfolio where he can see examples of business cards and stationary.
ill remember that idea to do an exchange in the future, however for this job the guy runs club nights, so i guess he doesnt have much to exchange apart from free booze! (but sadly, that wont pay the bills!)
________
Hellokittypink Cam

You should have asked whether you could get into a few of his clubs for free, to sample the atmosphere…

yeh and while im in there I could test every drink to see which one i like before I decide to buy one. needless to say, he hasnt emailed me back when I suggested he might have to pay for the work he wanted doing!
________
WhiteStar

Back