Does spelling matter?

Katedesign

Am I just being an old fart? But I really think it does matter. Personally I wouldn't use a designer if I spotted spelling mistakes on their literature or website. But when I look at many websites I spot spelling and grammatical errors - not just typos - that make my teeth curl. Stationary instead of stationery, their, there and they're, where and were. . . the list goes on. Perhaps I should just offer a proof-reading service!

I completely agree with you. If I were a client I would fear for any work I give the designer. With so many ways of spotting and amending typographical errors these days there really is no excuse. It would make me question how much the designer values the work they are doing by putting out work with typos.

I agree totally and would never use a company with spelling mistakes on their own website, it's just sloppy, if they can't get it right for themselves. Even the spelling on some of the posts on here is shocking.

P.S: I checked my response above 5 times :icon_biggrin:

Only 5 times?! ;)

I think even when you post on forums or whatever you are doing you have to start as you mean to go on.

Any work I put out is checked, checked, checked again and THEN and only then do I send it out to the client for them to check it AGAIN for them to sign off!

Its one of my biggest concerns and I wouldn't have it any other way. Keeps me on my toes.

It's a personal pet peeve of mine that spelling and grammar can be wrong in business promotional materials. There's really no excuse for it! I also find it highly amusing when I read some of the spammy, ill written, emails I get from overseas web design companies. Why, on that basis alone, would I want to outsource my hard earned clients to these people?

I think even when you post on forums or whatever you are doing you have to start as you mean to go on.

Any work I put out is checked, checked, checked again and THEN and only then do I send it out to the client for them to check it AGAIN for them to sign off!

You can guarantee that clients will only properly check work once it is printed.

My other pet peeve is being sent emails without people first checking that it is me they want to send the email to, and secondly, typos, misspelling etc.

And apostrophes - either too many or none at all.

As long as it's not me thats made the mistake then I'm protected. That's all we can do. As long as we've ensured it's typographically right when they receive the proofs, they cannot ask any more of us.

Good spelling does separate us from the foreign nationals stealing all the good design-work with cheaper prices. You pay for quality! :icon_eek:

Spelling is important, especially when dealing with print. It can be very costly otherwise! Web is a little more forgiving.

Back