Does Photoshop Make You a Designer?

JamesRobinson said:
Now how do I feel about ‘should the learners be selling their services and undercutting professionals?’

Well I am a learner still. Heading into my 2[sup]nd[/sup] year on a BA which I’m getting extremely rip off with by the way, but would I design for a small company or business, or charge for a logo? No I wouldn’t. It does annoy me that people maybe 16 years old or so are designing for companies using cracked software and producing complete twaddle, but isn’t that was separates the professionals from the amateurs?
On a slightly linked topic, it also annoys me when I see students or the ‘learners’ branding themselves as designers with what I call ‘writing my name in Helvetica light’.
Very well put!

Fortunately or unfortunately there will be a market for lower cost marketing. Too many people try at a business and fail. Over 50% of businesses will fail after 5 years. Those statistics change slightly based on the industry. With those numbers investing in long term marketing up front (think amazing logo, stationary, vehicle wrap, web site, ect) doesn't make much sense. If a student will make something for a fraction of the cost or free to build a portfolio, I can see businesses choosing that option.
Helvetica Light might be better for them then nothing.

I am wondering what the industry will be like in 20 years. There is a large supply of designers, which greatly out weigh the demand. Many of these 'designers' know photoshop and design for much cheaper options.It's like a fixed price index with no control!

As technology evolves and difficult tasks become more simplified, there are going to be ever more numbers of unqualified and ill-trained 'designers' selling their services. I'm not sure how much more simplified it will get though. At least with design it's something you need develop within yourself to become good at, it's the programmers I feel bad for. How long until they are made redundant by frameworks, templates and increasingly more sophisticated Content Management Systems?
Although in saying that, as technology ages new areas will open up. So those willing to adapt will move on and acquire new and more saleable skills, whilst others will be left behind, trying to fight over scraps of work.

That's all very true @Squiddy. When one door closes another one opens. If you enjoy change and have an aversion for stagnant roles, the technology industry is a great one to be in.

Back