Does Anyone Know About Wordpress Themes??

@Greg: at a glance at the file list in the theme folder, it doesnt have a portal.php file, and no other files were manually put anywhere during the theme installation :)

by the way id go from those files rather than the ones i posted earlier! realised those earlier ones were old versions!

Sorry but I'm going to have to admit defeat on this as whatever is doing it is above my skill level, I can see it and fix it fairly easily in the html as seen by the browser but I can't see any reason in the php that I can understand that would cause the issue :(

Hey levi - no problem at all thanks for trying and at least i know im not just a complete idiot :)

Also greg was kind enough to help me out and fixed the front page! woohoo! (I am still, admittedly completely oblivious to what was up because i installed the exact same theme elsewhere and it worked..)

It's just the Category pages to go!!

ive contacted the theme owner about it now to see if they have a bit more of any idea, thanks a bunch anyway!

What's the problem with the category pages Emma?
& the loop bit commented out is;

<?php // if (have_posts()) : ?>
<?php // while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

I'm interested in making my own Blog look better. That's one of the reasons I have not yet linked it here in DF. It looks very plain and is using an ugly pre generated theme. I could just change the theme through the WP feature, but Id much rather be able to personalize my page completely.

Wasn't sure if this should be in its own topic though. I have been studying coding, but I don't quite yet know how to use the HTML and JavaScript in the WP dashboard. Are we even allowed to really customize them, even if they're free?

@rhonda: if you know html, you can generally work your way around customising a theme. if you open the php files within the theme in dreamweaver or whatever code editor youre familiar with you'll get a better idea of what goes where and how each bit links to the next bit.

one thing thats useful for us php/wp-theme newbs (im in the same dept. as you here) in that each section of the page (header, footer, post, etc) is divided up into different php files for you and there is usually one stylesheet only to customise. dig around in the theme folder for .psds and images that will give you a clue about how the layout is made up and how you can customise without having to get yourself into too much coding.

and yes you're allowed to customise them especially if theyre free id say, unless anyone explicitly says you cant. i think most people do customise themes really. the only thing you shouldnt do is remove any of their credit links but they will probably have notated the code to specify any pieces which shouldnt be removed.

hope that starts you off!

@greg: my blog got fixed! Thanks :) nice avatar btw it reminds me of summer.

Back