Document design for the 'MS Office crowd'

xjester

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help. Before I start Im sure this subject has been covered a million times, but after scouring the web I am yet to find a decent solution to a very common problem. I've heard about adding watermarks to Word or playing with Adobe Reader layers, but these all seem very limited and I'm hoping someone has had some experience with this. InCopy seems to come close, but is not much help for the 'MS Office crowd'.

I have designed a new look and feel for our company documents with InDesign. These are all nicely styled with correct fonts, table styles, etc. I have the following two questions:

1. How would I make it possible for people to edit the wording on these documents who do not have Adobe software?
2. Is there any way for them to change simple images on these documents? (i.e to add a different company logo)

Any help / suggestions / workarounds would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply Paul I'll be sure to check out the link.

Just a thought, but if it was just the text that required updating is there any way to link an RTF/Text file to inDesign? I can 'place' an RTF file OK, but the link doesn't remain in place the same as an image link does. It would be handy if it checked these text files the same way as graphics to ensure that the link is updated and the latest version is shown.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul. I will check out WordsFlow now. On my epic journey around the internet 'WordsFlow' has cropped up a few times.

I've finally found a solution to updating text files in inDesign.

There is a checkbox which is turned off by default: Preferences > File Handling > Create Links When Placing Text and Spreadsheet Files

However if anyone has any suggestions about creating office-friendly documents i'd love to hear them.

Last edited:
Back