Do you have a scrapbook?

Kevin

As of this year I have been managing my own little scrapbook. I used to write down my ideas on a little piece of paper or a post-it note. I would hold on to the idea for a couple days, not using it, only to find out two weeks later that what I had written down would have been perfect for the project I'm working on. Of course I couldn't remember what I had scribbled down and the little paper has mysteriously vanished from my desk.

So now I keep all my thoughts in this little scrapbook, marked with a date to easily find back ideas. What about you? :)

EVERYTHING goes into my Moleskin book; ideas, sketches, storyboards, RGB/CMYK references the lot. It's a mess in there but it makes perfect sense to me, as I'm sure is the case for every other sketch/scrap book.

not really a scrapbook, more a pile of standard notepads that i scribble on for everything lol

i do go through them once a year, and get rid of anything not used anymore, and put important stuff on stickies....

I believe that scrapbooks are an excellent thing to use, when technology tends to restrict your creative thinking. Mine is just a small notebook, or anything I can doodle on.

I've done it on tissue paper on a restaurant - funny stuff. Not to mention convenient.

Leventhan said:
I believe that scrapbooks are an excellent thing to use, when technology tends to restrict your creative thinking. Mine is just a small notebook, or anything I can doodle on.

I've done it on tissue paper on a restaurant - funny stuff. Not to mention convenient.
Back of the Napkin

Very inspirational, definitely check out the videos ;)

Yes! I got a new one for christmas, love it. Got all my sh*t in TBH, it's pretty brilliant :D

I only started using a scrapbook for design work a couple of years ago and I regret not doing it much earlier. I just always got too excited and went straight to the PC :). Sketching everything out on paper before turning on the Computer has improved my designs and digital artwork a lot. And I also like to draw/paint Graffiti so I use it for that as well.

I have 3 or 4 notebooks lying around that I use for doodling/keeping notes in, and if I want to draw something by hand to edit on the computer I just do it in those then scan it into photoshop. I'd be lost without them, but I should probably just stick to the one book, I get annoyed having to look through them all for somethingI need :down:

I cannot stop myself from buying stationary/notebooks, though! :lol:

I never thought about actually having some sort of mini-sketchbook specifically for design work...I usually just rip out a piece of paper, or a napkin and it gets lost in the shuffle. I just found a script idea for a movie I wrote like 2 months ago I had forgotten about!

I have a scrapbook in my head. Full of useless junk, images and things I remember from books websites etc.
Everynow and then I remember something and go back thru my mental library and find it in a book on page 257 or something as sad as that. I was told when i was a young pup to store and collate it all inside and upstairs. file it collate it and remember it. Because someday when your on a project, something clicks and you track it back. Nothing in this business is really original. it just a subliminal variation of something that is stored. Build the library. As for doodles, never be precious to ideas, throw them away and better ones will come. Then you start building the creative junk library.

Berry can you imagine if you put all those down into a journal - you would probably have the first Design Bible!

I keep a scrapbook.

I tend to jot down ideas and sketch things on odd bits of paper and layout pads and I end up with
a large pile of them that I dare not throw away. Every now and then when the pile starts to get a little unstable
(and my wife starts making remarks about it) I go through it and clip out all the good
stuff and spraymount it into a scrapbook.

This works better for me than keeping a sketch book as it separates the wheat from the chaff.

blueocto said:
Berry can you imagine if you put all those down into a journal - you would probably have the first Design Bible!

Yeh, but it would have to come with a wheelbarrow attached to move it!;)

Berry said:
I have a scrapbook in my head. Full of useless junk, images and things I remember from books websites etc.
Everynow and then I remember something and go back thru my mental library and find it in a book on page 257 or something as sad as that. I was told when i was a young pup to store and collate it all inside and upstairs. file it collate it and remember it. Because someday when your on a project, something clicks and you track it back. Nothing in this business is really original. it just a subliminal variation of something that is stored. Build the library. As for doodles, never be precious to ideas, throw them away and better ones will come. Then you start building the creative junk library.

Click for full view

I'd like to say that I'm organized in that I have several sketchbooks full of drawings, writing ideas, witty little euphemisms and so forth, but I'm not. The offensive term in that is "several". I'm working on a single one.

I have a moleskine that i carry around with me all the time, it has references, ideas, sketches and scraps of paper and flyers and stickers i find when out. I also have a few files with stuff that i've collected, and have random images stuck on the walls of my studio which i change frequently. I seem to use my whole studio as a scrapbook

I'm much the same as berry, just remember images designs etc etc, Occasionally I have uber! ideas when im half asleep, so I have been know in the wee hours to jot them down on some paper for the morning.. :) but thats about as far as it goes lol :)

Back